Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always wanted an evo. plus my twin bro has an 06 wrx with ej257 swap so this made things interesting. lol. gotta love family reunions.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:48 PM

The STI is too needy when it comes to mods...simple mods... It doesn't take much before you need to jump to a big-turbo set-up. The Evo is stone cold bad-*** and returns big dividends for simple upgrades, especially flash tunes.

I live in the Northwest where everybody and their mother has a Subie and I am a 'dare to be different' kind of guy... the back seats are super spacious which makes it a great family car...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:30 PM

I got any evo because i wanted a fast car, thats simple to work on and responds to mods very well. Sti's are pretty much the opposite
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:38 PM

Everyone I know with a modded STI has less than 30k miles....because its always broken.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Boyd
Everyone I know with a modded STI has less than 30k miles....because its always broken.

True. Also, comparable to the Evo, you have to do a lot more to the STi to get the same power you can out of a Evo with less mods from what I've seen.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

0:46 - understeery little so-and-so
1:55 - dynamics
5:43 - vacuum cleaners

this stuff plays out in the choices the engineers made when designing the cars. evos are more responsive to mods at any price point and are significantly more robust as you progress through whatever upgrade path you choose. some things don't mod easily, such as steering rack and feel.

the single biggest advantage is the wagon configuration for the sti. that adds a ton of flexibility, which matters when you're young and single, moving from place to place with your $500 worth of worldly possessions, or when you're trying to justify keeping a sports car as you have kids. this is, in my mind, the only scenario where the subaru carries a decided advantage.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
What you never heard of a ct9w?
Advantage my a$$.
Originally Posted by CleverUserName
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Seuvqhrsjwo

0:46 - understeery little so-and-so
1:55 - dynamics
5:43 - vacuum cleaners

this stuff plays out in the choices the engineers made when designing the cars. evos are more responsive to mods at any price point and are significantly more robust as you progress through whatever upgrade path you choose. some things don't mod easily, such as steering rack and feel.

the single biggest advantage is the wagon configuration for the sti. that adds a ton of flexibility, which matters when you're young and single, moving from place to place with your $500 worth of worldly possessions, or when you're trying to justify keeping a sports car as you have kids. this is, in my mind, the only scenario where the subaru carries a decided advantage.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Maybe for y'all 'Muricans.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
Maybe for y'all 'Muricans.
But that doesn't matter much. The wagon overseas was only available for the IX (and not the VIII or X, if I remember correctly) and was produced in fairly limited numbers globally (I think somewhere around 2,500 units). So it may have been an option, but I would assume that they were a tad harder to come by.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Ease of modding and the seats. EVO seats are fabulous.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:10 PM

Always have wanted an evo and never heard good things about the STI. ^ Can't beat the seats either
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:17 PM

evo is just so much sexier looking than sti IMO
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

More back seat room than the STI and the 4G63. Owned a dsm back in the day and loved it ever since.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by aeroweenie
Ease of modding and the seats. EVO seats are fabulous.
Lovvvvvvve the evo seats. Fronts are comfortable and even on longer rides none of my passengers complain about being uncomfortable in the back.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

I already had an SRT-4 (Mopar Stage3) and an STi (mint, nuts and bolts stock 04).
An Evo was on the bucket list. (and has been since Gran Turismo 2)

My STi was the most reliable car I've ever had, more than I can say about my VIII. The Evo feels more frantic and purpose built however. Loads of fun.

Last edited by slimjim1804; Nov 27, 2012 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI