Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
What kind of condition was the Evo in when you bought it?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
What kind of condition was the Evo in when you bought it?
Mine? Eh, less clean than I'd prefer. As the process of sorting through the car goes, discovered it (was) all sorts of hacked up when I bought it, the P.O. lied about the parts on it, and quality of install was a joke.
The head was removed to replace the leaky HG (first problem P.O neglected to mention), upon inspection the cyl walls we're scored and the cross hatching was barely visible, leading my tuner to believe the engine had well over the mileage the odometer read, I suspected someone had blown it up and thrown a junkyard engine in it.

I've already have replaced a new low low mileage VIII shortblock in it and a low mileage IX turbo in it, along with new cams (because he lied about the cams too), headstuds (old ones we're stretched) and a new headgasket (to replace the one that was leaking, that didn't leave any noticeable leaks when I first saw the car (go figure)
Oh and a new timing belt to replace the generic parts store one that was on there.
And a new intake manifold to replace the cross threaded "ported" (it wasn't) manifold that was on there.
More on top of this too, this is off the top of my head.
I don't at all blame the car itself as being unreliable.
I blame myself for having faith in people, and not being as thorough as I should have when I first looked at the car.
The previous owner however, is a POS, regardless. If he has another FS thread around here I will PM anyone and tell them not to touch anything he's selling, regardless if it's a potted plant or a car part.

Oh, I've still gotta put a heater core in it.
After that it should be good.
Clutch was almost shot too. Didn't slip or anything, but inspection revealed it was basically on it's death bed.

It's cost me a fortune, but now it's running amazing and most everything is lower mileage than the odometer reads.
I've got a nearly mint condition low mileage interior the car will get after the weather warms up too.

Last edited by slimjim1804; Nov 27, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:32 PM

I loved my STi and i miss it but my first love was an Evo so i figured id try one out and so far i love it
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:32 PM

Been a dsm guy for about 11 years now. When the time came for a newer/nicer car, the decision was easy.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
My budy told me to get one after he'd beat on his VR-4. I went for a test drive and was hooked - still am 7 years later
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:45 PM

easier to make power and work on. gotta love the boxer rumble though
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

I always loved the way evos looked then the stis. They have way more potentional for making power, and there just amazing cars !! I do agree with kcustado ^^ the sti boxer engine sounds clean as hell. But evos well always be my favorite an better lol!!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:48 AM

I went from my 07 WRX to my 03 EVO in less than a 8 months of having the subie. Dont get me wrong the WRX was great, and even a little more comfortable but working on those motors blows and they hate being modded without putting up a fuss. and it doesn't help that I live in utah where I see atleast 5-10 WRX or STis a day on average. Had the Evo for alittle over a year and I love it no regrets on getting it.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:16 AM

I've always been drawn to the evo, now I have one, and its my bf
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally I did prefer the Impreza over the Evo because after all, the specs were impressive. Higher rated HP figures, longitudinal layout, and boxer engine all makes more sense in a performance vehicle. And then theres the more subjective reasons like subaru winning more WRCs and better sounding exhaust not. In the end what changed my mind was reading all the magazine articles that put the Evo over the STI claiming that it had sharper responses and better handling. Further research confirmed these claims and here I am.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:58 AM

I've had a large number of performance cars from mustangs to M3s.
I just moved to WA where it rains all the time and I'm a performance guy so Evo was a no brainer. Plus STIs just seem to break least transmissions and you don't see many major modded ones.
I also think the Evo IX looks sick
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:30 AM

I've always loved the Impreza models. I've had 2 and felt like this time around I would turn to the darkside and explore a new car and community. They're both amazing. Not sure you can go wrong with either.

Although, it is mind blowing how such minimal mods contribute to such significant gains. While I'm not a high HP kind of person it's nice to know on the Evo you get a huge bang / buck.

I think back to my S2000 and the 1-2hp gain w/ my exhaust. LOL *sigh* (S2k is an amazing car though, for another topic) Everyone should own one at one point.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:38 PM

^^^ exactly. I love Subarus they are amazing cars defiantly more comfortable daily but I do feel the evo is sharper so to say. I have only owned subarus until I bought my evo and I haven't regretted a single one. It's all preference but if I did it again I'd have kept my built 30R sti
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:44 PM

Nice. I really miss the STI seats though. I have the SSL leather and they do nothing for me. Would love some ix standard seats but tough to get someone to swap with you. Hrm. Wonder what it would cost to have the centers of my Recaro's replaced w/ a suede material.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STI's are ugly in my honest opinion, and I have never been much of a fan of Subaru. I drove my buddies STI and too be honest I wasn't that impressed. STI owners will brag about their better interior but too be honest I like my Evo's interior better. I just find the granny blue stripped seats a turn off. I will say I love the sound of the boxer.

Quick Reply: What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI