Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2tn
I've always loved the Impreza models. I've had 2 and felt like this time around I would turn to the darkside and explore a new car and community. They're both amazing. Not sure you can go wrong with either.

Although, it is mind blowing how such minimal mods contribute to such significant gains. While I'm not a high HP kind of person it's nice to know on the Evo you get a huge bang / buck.

I think back to my S2000 and the 1-2hp gain w/ my exhaust. LOL *sigh* (S2k is an amazing car though, for another topic) Everyone should own one at one point.
totally agree with you. i sold my s2k not too long ago to get into an evo or sti. they're both great cars but in the end i decided to go with the evo since all my friends have wrxs and sti. i'll def miss the s2k but won't miss trying to squeeze out power from that.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Ive had my evo since 04 and that was the year my oldest son was born. I used to drive a tiburon but the wifey hated to be in the back, every bump I hit she keeps hitting her head on the roof. So she decided that I should get another car. Told her I'll get a 4 door that has power, I made her decide which one she wants. She looked at the STI and the evo. She likes the evo better cuz there is more room inside. Plus the car was a anniversary gift from her to me lol.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Was buying brand new so had the choice of either - did extensive research and the consistent message was that the Evo was (slightly) faster, sharper, more engaging and more responsive, not to mention even more receptive to mods. I thought it looked the better car to boot and despite the STi's interior being incrementally higher quality had always vastly appeared the layout of the Evo's. It's properly wrapped around the driver and has more of a "cockpit" feel. You sit inside the Evo's interior, whereas I always felt like I was sitting on top of the STi's.

It didn't help that the most the Subaru dealership let me do with their car was take it round the block (literally), which was a pathetic excuse for a test drive and certainly nothing to base a decision on. The rep at the Mitsu dealership, on the other hand, kept encouraging me to push it harder whilst out on a nice long drive. That experience sealed the deal.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:58 AM

Being as I have both a '10 STI and 2012 x MR both have there pros and cons. the evo is faster stock for stock. being my STI is fully built though with a touch over 400awhp it is to me more fun to drive. The X though has much a better steering feel in stock trim even compared to my highly modified STI.

The things I don't like about the EVO that the STI excells at even fully built I get better mpg's with my 2.5l vs the evo 2.0l. Also fuel capacity the EVO comes short on long trips needing refueling almost 100 miles sooner then the STI.

I like both but I did choose the STI first in 2010
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 72Tornado
It didn't help that the most the Subaru dealership let me do with their car was take it round the block (literally), which was a pathetic excuse for a test drive and certainly nothing to base a decision on. The rep at the Mitsu dealership, on the other hand, kept encouraging me to push it harder whilst out on a nice long drive. That experience sealed the deal.
I remember something like that. Not every dealership will let you test drive, but I did get opportunities to take an Evo out on more than one occasion. My local Subaru dealership, on the other hand, played games. I emailed them and said I wanted to test drive an STI and would not be making a decision that day, and that if I couldn't drive one, it would be okay, but I wanted to know ahead of time so I wouldn't waste my time. They said it would be fine, so I went there, and the same guy who had been emailing me then said it was their policy to not allow test drives on the STI.

I spoke to the dealership's higher ups (it was either the GSM or the GM) and while he confirmed that they don't allow test drives on the STI, he did agree that it was improper for the guy to have led me to believe I could drive it. But he did invite me back to test drive the updated WRX (which at that time got the 265 hp motor) while offering a free tank of gas for my car, which I happily took, as I had just taken on a new job (plus I think gas was around $4.50 at the time).
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Loved the evo platform when it cam out, friend of mine bought red 8 in 03 and came over and took me for a ride from then on i was hooked, just had to wait to build the funds and purchase my 06 Evo 9.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:15 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm proud of you guys for not turning this into a bone headed Evo vs. STI thread.

I have quite a few reasons when I was looking for a car to replace my Type-R, but this was the one that pushed me away from the STI and the Subaru designed boxer motor for good:

(I'd take a Porsche boxer anyway though)
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
I'm proud of you guys for not turning this into a bone headed Evo vs. STI thread.
I feel like I'm going to get treated with ice cream
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:36 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
I feel like I'm going to get treated with ice cream
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:42 PM

Whose handin out ice cream?!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This one allows me to keep appreciating Subarus despite preferring the EVO ....

[QUOTE=golgo13;10538313]I'm proud of you guys for not turning this into a bone headed Evo vs. STI thread.

Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

I owned a 2011 subaru wrx / sti
I now own a 2013.evo gsr

If I can go back in time now j drove both ill pick evo x in a heart beat soo much stiffer - better seats - handling is awsome , makes the sti feel like a boat lol
The subaru sucks at holding power 350whp ur a ticking bomb... Plus ringland failure happens at stock tune for running lean wot ...
It's harder to work on ... way harder changing a spark plug u gotta lower motor just a hair ...
Also they don't make power easy to make

Evo x can hold 420 whp with out kaboom ...
My subaru made only 310 whp and 368 wtq with best pw tmic. Tomei uel header + uppipe invidia catless turbo back- forge bpv, Cobb sf intake Cobb ap and protune and I started to have problems I only had 9k miles when I traded her in .
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can concur with a lot that's already been said in this thread. Biggest attractors for me were the exterior looks, and even the interior looks (no, not just the Recaro seats in the front). The rest were all of the crazy YouTube videos I watched with this platform on the Dyno, on the track, and in Rally stages. The more I read about it and watched, the more I wanted the car.

Something that appeals to me even more now is just how rare the EVO is around town. I know there are several around, but you never see them, however, you certainly see (and hear) plenty of STi's and WRX platforms roaming around.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've always loved rally and my first car was a Celica All Trac when I was 16. I was a huge Subaru fan in the 90's and to this day the 22b is probably my favorite car of all time. That said, when Subaru finally brought the wrx/sti to America, it seemed as though they lost they're way. Especially the early bug eye. They kinda fixed it in 2004 and then went with the weird, "hawkeye" nose that I was never a fan of. I think the Evo just did a better job of being an Evo. It felt more special to me. The CT9A reminded me more of the rally cars I loved; including, oddly enough, the 22b. Performance the Evo has the edge but not by any great margin, at least stock for stock. The interior no contest goes to the Evo. The interior on my IX SSL is just a nice place to be. The seats are great, the stearing wheel well executed. It's not flashy, it's got everything you need and no bs. It just seems more upscale, where the sti's blue seats and cheesy finish seem too boy racer and childish for me. Now flash forward to 2012. If it was between the current sti (sedan) and the Evo X, I think the tables have turned.

All said and done, I love my Evo. Perfect family car/performance car/daily driver. My son thinks it's a racecar, and my wife who doesn't even like cars loves it as well.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
I remember something like that. Not every dealership will let you test drive, but I did get opportunities to take an Evo out on more than one occasion. My local Subaru dealership, on the other hand, played games. I emailed them and said I wanted to test drive an STI and would not be making a decision that day, and that if I couldn't drive one, it would be okay, but I wanted to know ahead of time so I wouldn't waste my time. They said it would be fine, so I went there, and the same guy who had been emailing me then said it was their policy to not allow test drives on the STI.

I spoke to the dealership's higher ups (it was either the GSM or the GM) and while he confirmed that they don't allow test drives on the STI, he did agree that it was improper for the guy to have led me to believe I could drive it. But he did invite me back to test drive the updated WRX (which at that time got the 265 hp motor) while offering a free tank of gas for my car, which I happily took, as I had just taken on a new job (plus I think gas was around $4.50 at the time).

So they do not allow test drives period? Or do they only allow it to "cash in hand" customers?

Quick Reply: What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI