Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI

The title pretty much says it all. I searched it, and nothing really came up. Tell me why you chose an Evo!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have always been a fan of the evo even before they were available in the US. After selling my last project car I wanted to get something that I can have fun with at the track and be competitive in if and when I decided to become more serioius with it.

There were a few other cars I had been considering, but in the end I chose the evo as it met more of the criteria I was looking for. Daily driver capabilities was really on the bottom of my list of needs since I have a work vehicle that I use for dd.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:41 PM

Steering feedback, recaro seat, twinscroll, overall look, less interchangeable parts between mitsubishi model (theft).
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sti's are all over. I wanted the awd, turbo and not to be just like all the rest.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
evo looks better and easier to work on engine-wise and easier to mod to go faster
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:48 PM

It's much cooler to say Evo than sti :P really though because I have a dsm why would I switch to Subaru?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:55 PM

<- previous STi owner.... and also a previous dsm owner, along with other various sports cars. Evo is the way to go. In the end, the Evo is MUCH easier to work on and make power with. Sometimes I miss that boxer sound though!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

I always loved the way evo's looked. When I first bought mine, I sort of wasn't in the market for another car. I just paid off my se-r but with so many little issues with it, I came across my evo while on vacation in FL and the deal was too good to pass up. So I bought it. Yes I bought my evo on vacation lol. Test drove and STi a long time ago and liked it, but so does everyone and their mothers.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Iron Block / Simplicity of motor design Vs Boxer motor & complex intake & exhaust plumbing
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:10 PM

4 doors (wifes requirement). Now its my 700hp+ family car.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not necessarily in this order ... The Subaru WRC team at one time used Evos as recce cars. Very successful Group N car. Engine tough as nails and easy to increase power on a budget. Better turbo set-up that is less easily maxed out than the Subaru. Better gear ratios. Better seats. More roomy inside, including more rear set room. Better steering wheel. Less overhang in the front. Better rear suspension. Better and quicker steering, especially on USDM cars. Edgier. IMO, most sporty sedan with most potential available for any kind of money. Probably one of the last cars built with a cable throttle: linear throttle response. Front mount IC. Prefer the way it drives. More focussed. Prefer looks. Less common. Like all the cool lightweight bits, eg glass, front fenders, roof, etc. Evo is really a handbuilt car - you notice it when you pull the panels off and see all the handwritten felt marker assembly notes and markings, as well as each nut and bolt being paint marked. Where else do you get this level of quality for next to no money to speak of.

The power & torque with some slight mods is phenomenal: turboback, air filter, LICP, ETS intercooler, remap. Subaru does not even come close with such minimal changes

Didn't like the handling stock but that holds true for the Subaru at least as much. Robispec springs, ACD remap, TRE 12-plate and a bunch of bushings (offset PSRS, RCK and some spherical bushings) and an alignment cured all that and I couldn't be happier.

I did really want a VI RS or a IX RS but am very happy with my IX MR. Nuff said.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:50 PM

In my case it never seemed possible to own one in Canada as they were not sold or allowed here at all! The Evo was my realistic dream car and when they became eligible for importation I did not hesitate for a second! I had been in a lot of subarus and kind of liked them and even almost bought one but something held me back and im soo grateful that it did and I ended up with what IMO is the greatest sedan ever built that you can buy for under $30k!!! Love my 06 gsr ssl and it will be with me possibly till im in the ground! I have often wondered what other vehicle I would get if something happened to my Evo and the answer is always the same, another 06 evo!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Don't have to damn near pull the motor to change spark plugs lol and been a fan I the evo platform since I was a kid
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
STI's blow ringlands

Don't have to worry about that with evo. That was pretty much my determining factor
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
STI's blow ringlands

Don't have to worry about that with evo. That was pretty much my determining factor
To me the Evo looks and performs alot better. The Sti is not a bad looking car and speaking of ringslands ive been reading a lot about this issue and even Sti's from 08 and up with not even 10k miles are having this problem, I cant believe since 04 Subaru hasn't adressed this issue with crappy pistons.

Quick Reply: What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI