Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

help with something...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with something...

Is there anyway of telling if my car was tuned without getting into the whole tactrix/laptop thing? When I got my car from the stealership they were really vague about what was on the car before they sold it to me, and sometimes it feels as if it was tuned to what the previous owner had on it. Catback/turboback/open air intake...

Hope someone can give me some insight.

Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Does the car have a wideband? If so, check AFR's under full boost. If they're in mid-low 11's there's a decent chance it's been tuned, because the stock tune is quite a bit richer than that.

Have you ever seen the check engine light flash while under boost? If so it's been tuned on Tephra mod with the knock CEL enabled.

Neither of these are sure shots, but without pulling the map from ECU, it's all I can think of.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Do you have a wideband may sound dumb but my 2g was untuned and the wideband would disco dance af was all over the place. only idea I have though hope it helps good luck buddy
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:49 PM

Take it to a reputable tuning shop and let them look at the map. I doubt many would charge you much if at all because they have a good chance of getting a tune out of you. Well really not knowing anything about the car's history you should probably tune anyways.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:19 PM

yea, it is in the low 11's
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Many on here who buy modded cars get them retuned after purchase regardless of their state of tune. Its a peace of mind thing... knowing its a good safe set up. Do some searching on here and see if you want to do any easy mods that it doesn't have, then get it tuned.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

You can try to see if it goes into valet mode. People who use the tephra mod usually have valet mode enabled. Step on the gas with the key in the on position, but car off, for 10 seconds I believe. Start car, go for a drive, if you can't go over 3k revs, then you're in valet mode, to turn it off repeat the steps above.