Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What does it take to get a real sponsor?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does it take to get a real sponsor?

I see build threads on EvoM all the time with a section saying thank you to sponsors. So what does it take? I'm not a professional driver by any means, but a little more than your average Evo owner I think. I'm not a 16 year old kid just looking for free hand outs. I'm in the middle of crazy expensive build just like many people here on EvoM. I definitely don't plan on putting all this money into my car to just drive it leisurely or do car shows. I certainly plan on hitting the drag strip and I hope some road racing some day. So vendors and others please chime in! What do you think it takes to get sponsored or to really want to sponsor someone? Current and future mods are in my sig. Plus many more... Let me know if you have any questions and any insight is great. Thanks ahead of time!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:07 AM

Having existing time slips, videos, attending events. I prefer doing it myself though and not having a bunch of stickers all over my car.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

All those guys are just saying thanks to the people who they spent all there money with lol. There really isn't such thing as a sponsor. If you spend tons of money with a shop they might give you a discount other than that you are on your own.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:27 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rEVOlution04
I'm not a professional driver by any means, but a little more than your average Evo owner I think.
You have no racing experience.

I'm in the middle of crazy expensive build just like many people here on EvoM. I definitely don't plan on putting all this money into my car to just drive it leisurely or do car shows.
Spending money qualifies you to spend money. That's it.

I certainly plan on hitting the drag strip and I hope some road racing some day.
"Some day." If and when that day comes and you actually do something to gain recondition, look for sponsorship. You may have a shot.

Current and future mods are in my sig. Plus many more...
This qualifies you for car shows. Ricer appeal. Maybe someone will give you a Monster can to put on your hood. Riveting.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to look at like what it will be, a business deal. If you're looking at racing competitively, whether drag or road course, what is your end goal? From the little bit of info and your build you have no clear way of where you want to take your car. Is it going to be a street tire class car, dot, slick? Where are you going to focus your 100% effort, drag or circuit? What wins and records do you currently hold?

I would say, first of figure whether your a drag racer or road race. Second, build for a class and stick to it strictly. Third, get experience, wins, and a few records wouldn't hurt. Foruth, if not approached by companies for a sponsorship contact a few you would like to work with. Submit a proposal of your experience, accolades, future plans, what type of contract you're looking for (fully paid parts or partial), what specific parts you are looking for. If they're willing to talk to you after all that, then the negotiation begins.

Good luck!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you guys for the honest feed back. I pretty much knew the answer, I was just curious.. I will finish my build as soon as I can and start trying to get my name out there.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly? Like any business, it's who you know. /thread
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
or how big your wallet is, dont forget that
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wazmunstr
Honestly? Like any business, it's who you know. /thread
Which is probably why I'm SOL because there isn't a huge Evo population in NH or shops for that matter. And the closest road course is 3 1/2 hours away at Limerock, but I'm going to try!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Some people get really cocky when they get sponsors imo...
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

well since you asked about "real" sponsors, the answer would be REAL racing. And making a case for why, during your real racing, it will benefit your sponsor; not necessarily winning 1st at every event, but exposure. Your sponsor would be looking for exposure.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

I can understand that but that's not who I am. Getting sponsored for racing would be a dream for me. I love everything about the Evo and I want to take it to another level..
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

when I got my competition clutch in the mail it had a whole "sponsorship page" or something like that. It gave monetary rewards if you put the included stickers in obvious places on the car and got exposure. It was like 50 bucks for best of car shows, Another amount for 1st place autox finishes, road course finishes, and like 800 bucks for a magazine cover. Kinda interesting.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by icmanevo
when I got my competition clutch in the mail it had a whole "sponsorship page" or something like that. It gave monetary rewards if you put the included stickers in obvious places on the car and got exposure. It was like 50 bucks for best of car shows, Another amount for 1st place autox finishes, road course finishes, and like 800 bucks for a magazine cover. Kinda interesting.
I think every vendor or shop has slighty different requirements for wanting to sponsor someone, but think people are right. It all comes down to making a name for myself. That way they'll want to sponsor me for the exposure. So who knows maybe not having a lot of shops where I am will help my cause and bring more awareness of certain companies to other Evo owners around me. There are a few shops in Massachusetts I've seen that sponsor some racers.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by icmanevo
that's known as a contingency sponsorship, and if people look hard enough, a good many companies offer these.

Quick Reply: What does it take to get a real sponsor?