Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ACD pump in trunk?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by manthny18
good thread. some1 who has done this should put up pics...

I posted pics on here of how I did mine not too long ago.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

You know which thread?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...p-project.html

I posted that shortly after I finished. It was dark so pics arent that great. I still have a few odds and ends to finish up with it, but thats pretty much how it will sit. The sheet metal back there is rather flimsy so it took me a while to figure out the best way to have securely mounted from where I wanted it to be placed. The battery is gonna be placed back there as well. I might consider having a small fan system to cool the pump and battery if I find any temp issues with it.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like a lot of work for minimal handling gains. However the pump will probably last longer being out of rain and salt spray.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by njboy
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like a lot of work for minimal handling gains. However the pump will probably last longer being out of rain and salt spray.
That's the whole reason for doing this. Not really the handling gains, but to get the pump out of a hazardous area. Whenever I decide to do mine, I'm gonna try to put it in the JDM OEM location, once I remove the EVAP garbage.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

I already had the whole drivetrain out so it wasnt so bad. It wasnt alot of weight but now I can make a better intake as well. One main reason I wanted to relocate it was to protect it from the elements and/or an off road excursion from going too hot into a turn.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Having room to do a CAI with a velocity stack was one of the main reasons for relocating mine. Gotta max out cold air to get the best on pumpgas.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

I'm getting random acd lights coming on but when I shut the car off and restart they go away.... Seems to do it when i buck the car hard or go over big bumps, but it doesn't do it every time, so been hard to figure out what exactly is triggering it. The electronic connections are good and there is enough play in the harness that i doubt it's being pulled.
Any tips on diagnosing the fault code or how to pull it without a reader?

Last edited by Grimgrak; Dec 7, 2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
I'm getting random acd lights coming on but when I shut the car off and restart they go away.... Seems to do it when i buck the car hard or go over big bumps, but it doesn't do it every time, so been hard to figure out what exactly is triggering it. The electronic connections are good and there is enough play in the harness that i doubt it's being pulled.
Any tips on diagnosing the fault code or how to pull it without a reader?

I dont know how your wiring was routed and where you extended the harness at, but if its possible to have someone ride along and wiggle the harness, preferably where they are soldered, to verify its not a connection issue at least. I have mine routed throught the center of the vehicle so this would be a fairly easy test for my setup.

Other than that I would verify that its bled completely, the fluid is topped off, and check and make sure all the connections are good and clean. G/L
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

The part i question is the bleed since no matter what i do there is always air bubbles in the line that i attach to the bleed nipple. I used non insulated crimps with heat shrink on all my connections no solder involved.

I use a booster pack to power the pump and when I bleed for some reason the motor will only turn on for so long maybe an inch under the min line.... it will just make noise and not go lower. If i top it off and do it it will quickly bleed out fluid down near the min level and go really slow from that point on.
Originally Posted by TommiM
I dont know how your wiring was routed and where you extended the harness at, but if its possible to have someone ride along and wiggle the harness, preferably where they are soldered, to verify its not a connection issue at least. I have mine routed throught the center of the vehicle so this would be a fairly easy test for my setup.

Other than that I would verify that its bled completely, the fluid is topped off, and check and make sure all the connections are good and clean. G/L
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

doesnt sound like its an issue with bleeding but maybe pump output? It could be the pump doesnt put out its full pressure and thats why it isnt able to fully bleed out the system. If that were the case you would need to verify that its getting good voltage and then test the pump pressure. I forgot who had those on here, but they were pressure gauges that went inline of the acd pump to read its pressure output.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Are you able to have your reservoir go past min and actually empty out from constant power to the pump? I am using a booster pack so if it's enough to jumpstart a car.... i'd figure it's enough amp/voltage.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

My evo is still down. The tc is still out of the car and might be a while before i get a chance to bleed the system. You may have a good 12v source but what i meant is to test your connections to make sure you dont have any voltage drops or excessive resistance in the wiring. If those are good and your pump output psi is good then just double check there isnt any kinks in your lines or any restrictions. I only say that because I have no idea how/what lines you used or how exactly you re routed it.

Last edited by TommiM; Dec 10, 2012 at 06:24 AM.