Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Best HID Kit for $150?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012 | 01:30 PM

Best HID Kit for $150?

Hello.

I'm looking to buy a HID kit to replace the OEM Halogens on my 2006 9 GSR.

This will be the first time I've bought an HID kit and I have no prior experience in dealing with the whole process. I was hoping some members of EvoM have been where I am and could provide some input on the matter?

I've been looking in to these two kits so far:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3957

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Xtreme-Dig...s-p/xt-hid.htm

I'm open to other recommendations. Basically I'm looking for something that's:

Slightly brighter than the OEM HIDs
Something with a very slight tint of blue
Has to be reliable, not looking to buy some cheap eBay kit that breaks down after a few months
Something around the $150 range. I've been told by friends that there's no need to spend so much, but I've also been told this is one of those cases where you get what you pay for. So if that's true, I think $150 would be a good price range.

I'm not sure what other pieces of information I could provide but I'd be glad to explain more if it means getting a better answer.
Old Nov 30, 2012 | 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

DDMTuning.com

Kits are really inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty. I've have purchased several of these kits for cars and motorcycles and have never been dissapointed.
Old Nov 30, 2012 | 02:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by marcac
ddmtuning.com

kits are really inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty. I've have purchased several of these kits for cars and motorcycles and have never been dissapointed.
+1
Old Nov 30, 2012 | 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

see sig
Old Nov 30, 2012 | 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

no need to spend more that 80 on hid kids, like they said up there . lots of options for cheap. with life time warranty
Old Nov 30, 2012 | 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Installed a $70 ebay kit a month ago. I use it daily and it looks and works great
Old Nov 30, 2012 | 05:29 PM
Evolving Member
Veteran: ArmyFCOTM Winner

theretrofitsource's morimoto kits are as close to OEM quality as you can get. i'm currently using a set of morimoto's and my light output and reliability is unparalleled. i used to have a cheap hid kit with lifetime warranty. a few days after i installed them, a ballast already went out. i contacted their customer service and got a replacement. that ballast again went after after a few days and got another replacement ballast. after that 2nd replacement ballast, it did last me a good 4 years until a ballast died. after that, i decided to go with a quality kit. swapping to the morimoto's was a day and night difference! the output was sooo much brighter than my cheap kit.

i wouldn't recommend ddm tuning kits. my brother bought a 4500k DDM kit a few months back. after a few weeks, one side of his lights started to flicker, and after a few more weeks, it just died. the kit's light output also looked nothing like 4500k; it looked just like my old cheap 6000k kit. granted they have lifetime warranties, but my brother is having a very hard time getting through to them. it's not worth the hassle contacting customer service, waiting for shipping, and removing your bumper to reinstall. they are slow and don't answer emails/calls. i know a lot of people on the forums love them, but my opinion is based on my experience.

i say do it right the first time and buy a nice quality kit. you will not be disappointed with the morimoto's.
Old Nov 30, 2012 | 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

I've gone with DDM several times with my other cars. Nice HID's & they are inexpensive.
Old Nov 30, 2012 | 06:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evil.evo
i wouldn't recommend ddm tuning kits. my brother bought a 4500k DDM kit a few months back. after a few weeks, one side of his lights started to flicker, and after a few more weeks, it just died. the kit's light output also looked nothing like 4500k; it looked just like my old cheap 6000k kit. granted they have lifetime warranties, but my brother is having a very hard time getting through to them. it's not worth the hassle contacting customer service, waiting for shipping, and removing your bumper to reinstall. they are slow and don't answer emails/calls. i know a lot of people on the forums love them, but my opinion is based on my experience.
My opinion is based on actual experience (not, oh my brother had these and they suck). I have installed these in one of my previous cars and I have direct experience with 3 kits over the last 3 years. Non have had any issues and they are still running strong.

Your brother most likely had an install error that caused it to blow out so quickly.

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; Nov 30, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012 | 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by kyoo
see sig
I read through most of that thread before posting here. I felt like I didn't get a definite answer because the thread was made about a year ago and I thought maybe better products have come out since then?

What is your opinion of the Morimotos??

Originally Posted by evil.evo
theretrofitsource's morimoto kits are as close to OEM quality as you can get. i'm currently using a set of morimoto's and my light output and reliability is unparalleled. i used to have a cheap hid kit with lifetime warranty. a few days after i installed them, a ballast already went out. i contacted their customer service and got a replacement. that ballast again went after after a few days and got another replacement ballast. after that 2nd replacement ballast, it did last me a good 4 years until a ballast died. after that, i decided to go with a quality kit. swapping to the morimoto's was a day and night difference! the output was sooo much brighter than my cheap kit.

i say do it right the first time and buy a nice quality kit. you will not be disappointed with the morimoto's.
I read your post from the thread earlier, you were the person that made me seriously consider the Morimotos. I feel like I just need a little push before I buy myself a pair of those. Can you tell me a little bit about your experience? What Kelvin did you opt for? I'm looking for something that's a tad bit more blue than the OEM HIDs. Also, what about the ordering options?? Which one should I select?
Old Nov 30, 2012 | 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

^ not sure what you mean, but obviously i was only able to choose one HID kit. definitely can't complain about the kit i bout (xtreme digital) + phillips 4700k bulbs. very good clean output - the difference here is the ballasts, they are extremely thin and lightweight, and of course the philips bulbs are fantastic. im moving out of this car though, i may be willing to sell the kit in time
Old Dec 1, 2012 | 01:59 AM
Evolved Member

Get the Morimoto kit you linked, 4300K bulbs, the 35W ballast
Old Dec 1, 2012 | 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Get the Morimoto kit you linked, 4300K bulbs, the 35W ballast
Have you had any personal experience with them?
Old Dec 1, 2012 | 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

ddm tuning, cheap, very affordable, i replaced my oem for their 55w kit. never had a problem. I do recommend getting different bulbs as theirs seem not so good. (design wise, more plastic than philips) im using oem bulbs on their 55w kit. love it.
Old Dec 1, 2012 | 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Ddmtuning +1. Installed lots of their slim ballast kits over the past few years and haven't had a single issue with any of them.

Quick Reply: Best HID Kit for $150?