Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 not pulling as hard?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RenEvoIX
+1 on getting use to the power.. when i had the 9 it was stock only for 3 weeks.. got use to the power soo soon. wanna feel dif.. get an intake, TBE, change the plugs to BR8ES, n get a tune

Yea, I already bought a couple bolt on parts but decided to I install and get a tune after Christmas
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

It really won't hurt to do a boost leak test even though you have low miles. I tested mine 2 weeks after I bought it (64k, all stock IC piping) and found a leak so big it made me sick. boost leak testing will become a regular thing for me.

I have also heard of people blowing IC pipes off at 1500 miles so I'm sure one could be leaking that early too.

Do one and sleep better at night knowing you're good to go or find an issue and sleep better knowing it's fixed.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Shortbus115
It really won't hurt to do a boost leak test even though you have low miles. I tested mine 2 weeks after I bought it (64k, all stock IC piping) and found a leak so big it made me sick. boost leak testing will become a regular thing for me.

I have also heard of people blowing IC pipes off at 1500 miles so I'm sure one could be leaking that early too.

Do one and sleep better at night knowing you're good to go or find an issue and sleep better knowing it's fixed.
+1. Where is your location? Evo should feel little faster during the winter time.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

There looks like a gab on the walls between the licp and the intercooler where they connect... But I don't know if that's the issue.
I think I'm just getting used to it.

I have the stock mr boost gauge. How much bar should I be hitting? I'm fully stock
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:49 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by IX_MR
I have the stock mr boost gauge. How much bar should I be hitting? I'm fully stock
The gauge reads in kg/cm2, though the difference is minor. You should be seeing ~1.35 peaking at WOT in 4th on a day that isn't hot. As you can see, there's a bit of "depends" at play.

FWIW, the basic mod path for a IX is a MBC, a TBE, and a tune. The tune will make or break the car, literally and figuratively. Everything else either does virtually nothing or brings about an equally high number of drawbacks. Good luck.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Purchase a quality famicom and all new ic piping, the shorter the better. Remove your throttle body and replace the seals as they are leaking. Get a NBC and set it to 20-22 even untuned. Full turbo back is a must. All power will be restored. Throttle response greatly improved boost held and all leaks repaired.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Purchase a quality famicom and all new ic piping, the shorter the better. Remove your throttle body and replace the seals as they are leaking. Get a NBC and set it to 20-22 even untuned. Full turbo back is a must. All power will be restored. Throttle response greatly improved boost held and all leaks repaired.
I purchased the ets licp, and the Hallman pro mbc and a full Turboback (3" Catless greddy comp tic), and a couple more things that you haven't listed..
And I will get a pro time from English racing. I'm thinking setting psi to 24-24..
And I ears the uicp doesn't do too much and plus I still have the big battery so can't do the upper short route.. You think it's worth getting the small battery kit and the ets short route uicp? Or that won't help too much with boost and power?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you are getting used to the power. when my 8 was stock, i thought it was so fast when i first got it. then it got slow. i got a few things for it plus boost pill and tune then bam it was so fast! now it is slow again. time for more mods and tune.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by IX_MR
I purchased the ets licp, and the Hallman pro mbc and a full Turboback (3" Catless greddy comp tic), and a couple more things that you haven't listed..
And I will get a pro time from English racing. I'm thinking setting psi to 24-24..
And I ears the uicp doesn't do too much and plus I still have the big battery so can't do the upper short route.. You think it's worth getting the small battery kit and the ets short route uicp? Or that won't help too much with boost and power?
Upper IC without a doubt helps. All one needs to do is witness a dyno pull with the OEM pipe to see how much it expands not to mention the amount of turns, twists, and neck downs Vs a smooth IC pipe. You need to removed you Throttle Body and replace the seals stat.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:55 AM

i think im getting use to mine too:-/ lol
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:02 AM

It's easy to get used to the power, hell even at 500+ whp it can start to feel mundane. Your body automatically tenses up when you start accelerating fast, and with the steering wheel to hold on to your muscle memory reaction makes it feel like less and less. Try riding in the passenger side, have your boo take you for a ride and do a 2nd to 3rd gear pull or something. Whenever I do that, I open my eyes and I am up in the back window, by the speakers.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

How many miles are on your clutch?
Slipping clutch, boost leak out of the throttle body shaft seal, old spark plugs or a clogged up cat. Check all these, you may be getting used to the power you may not. I can tell you one thing for sure, almost every evo has a throttle body shaft seal leak untill you change it out to a better one.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your assometer needs to be recalibrated, riding shotgun in the car usually gets that done.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TurboTJ
What RPM range is it struggling at?

I'm pretty sure that I had a boost leak (all stock pipes at the time) because when I upgraded the FMIC with all new piping (no change in tune), the car felt way better. Before, the power would hit pretty hard but just sort of plateau somewhere above 4k RPMs. Do you have the stock BOV on it?

sorry to go off topic kind of here, but i was going to ask this is soemwhat what my car feels like (altho i have all bolt ons running 21psi etc). i thought the plateau feeling was more or less the max torque being reached ? unless its me getting use to the power ? or maybe there is a leak i should try and find
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sho669
Your assometer needs to be recalibrated, riding shotgun in the car usually gets that done.

Haha.. Maybe

Quick Reply: Evo 9 not pulling as hard?