Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exhaust issues, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust issues, what should I do?

I have multiple questions and any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I couldn't pass inspection because I have no cat. Since we don't have emissions and just a visual inspection I got a Buschur Racing HFC.

Beautiful and arrived quickly

I didn't look hard enough at what was going on with the exhaust before I bought it. Dumb. The DP I have doesn't stop near the hangers like most I have seen. I goes right on past.

Name:  U0nDj.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  503 Bytes

So my options appear to be having my current DP cut and welded to fit the BR HFC or just buying a BR downpipe. Should I buy the BR downpipe and install the two pieces myself and sell the one I have? Should I just pay someone to cut and weld and make it work?

Part 2, Does the stock o2 sensor go after the cat? Mine is mounted on the catback portion of the exhaust but I don't have any codes even though it's catless. I don't know if there is a way around that or it the previous owner just unplugged it.
Name:  3Abvm.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  503 Bytes

What can I check to figure out what was done to bypass the code?

Part 3, I will be installing a wideband sometime soon. I know the wideband sensor goes before the cat (36" away from the turbo). I saw a how-to on wiring your wideband to log in evoscan. I assume you have to do this from a remote tune. Am I correct?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Put the o2 in you DP and just replace your test pipe with the cat,Done!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

If you plan on keeping that exhaust set up, cut the DP and get you new HFC welded in.

The o2 sensor goes after the cat

The reson your not getting any codes is probably because you bought the car used and it has a tune, Tephra mods in your tune can disable your rear o2 sensor that's why your not getting any codes
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ak47po
Put the o2 in you DP and just replace your test pipe with the cat,Done!
That is what I thought today would entail. There is no test pipe. DP goes from the turbo to the catback. I wish it was that easy.

Originally Posted by fastyouth1313
If you plan on keeping that exhaust set up, cut the DP and get you new HFC welded in.

The o2 sensor goes after the cat

The reson your not getting any codes is probably because you bought the car used and it has a tune, Tephra mods in your tune can disable your rear o2 sensor that's why your not getting any codes
I'm not a huge fan of this exhaust. It's loud enough for me to get comments from co-workers and neighbors. If a tanabe medalion touring will mount to the BR HFC I will probably go that route in a few months. Based on what I have seen the BR HFC will have to get a flange welded on to mount that the tanabe though.

Thanks for the insight on the sensor and code.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:27 AM

Exhaust

The cat should help a little to quite it down some. You could always have an exhaust shop install a magnaflow muffler while they are doing the cat. That's what I did helped make my car not so loud and deeper.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
get a new downpipe. no sense in cutting up your brand new HF cat
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
get a new downpipe. no sense in cutting up your brand new HF cat
This. Make some money back on your current downpipe while you're at it.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:43 PM

just went thru this whole drama a few weeks ago
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:06 AM

New dp for sure
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Yea I asked a guy to do some welding on what I had and he said he would go straight to prison for that. So I'm going to order and new downpipe.

I guess I just didn't really take enough time to look at what I had going on because I need to weld a flange to the HFC so it will connect to my catback. Later on I plan on getting a tanabe medalion touring so ill just sell this whole TBE and hope to get a little money back from this headache.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

I was waiting to hear back from one of the guys at BR about purchasing a flange to ship with my downpipe before I pulled the trigger on the order. He got back to me after lunch and I placed my order. The guy I spoke with said it everything should ship today so hopefully I'll have everything in a few days.

If I can get the flange welded on later this week I can hopefully mount everything up this weekend.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

solution: goto junkyard buy used cat converter, take off outside shell and have a welding/fab shop install a 3" stainless tube through the shell. drop your catback off your car and bring it to the same shop to have them install it.

if its only visual then that will pass easily. and most exhaust shops are full of douche-bags who dont know ****. a welding shop will do it no questions asked, and if they do ask tell them its a race car going into a stock-appearance class and you want to be sneaky.

your looking at a 15-20whp loss when going to a HFC, not worth it at all!!!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:42 PM

+1 to the shell for visual inspection. That's what i did. But if youre in cali good luck finding a cat in a pick in pull. They cut those out immediately and sell them so it's almost impossible to find them on a car.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Well after Jarrod @ Buschur gave me a price on a flange and downpipe I called in and place the order with Nick. This was at 2:00pm. When I came home for lunch at 12:30 my package was here. <24 hours. I couldn't be happier. I just hope I can get it installed this weekend