Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weird smell when hot air is on

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird smell when hot air is on

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see some opinions on why my hot air blower is giving off a weird smell, it kind of smells like a barn, musty I guess, but it only smells when the hot air is blowing. if the AC is on, there is nothing, and with AC off, cold air blowing, there is nothing. Could it be a mold/musty cabin air filter? or some kind of rodent running a muck in the blower somewhere? What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Replace cabin air filter. If not its probably a critter. Aha
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this on the Evo 4 from your sig? Im not sure if those have a cabin filter or not. What I would do is spray some a/c system disinfectant spray. A few different companies make them. Spray it through where your cabin filter would be, or where your blower is at so it sucks it through the system. Follow the instructions and spray the hell out of it, then replace with a new cabin filter if your vehicle is equipped with one.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:01 AM

It is indeed the car in my sig. Do you happen to know where the intake to the blower is?I know there is the one under the center console I believe, but there is also one under the hood, is there not?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Im not really that familiar with the evo 4. I assume it might be similar to a mid 90s galant that we had in the U.S. Usually the cabin filter is placed in an area behind the glovebox if the vehicle is equipped with one. You have to remove it in order to spray the disinfectant. If there is no cabin filter then you can spray anywhere really that is sucking the air in through the system. Ideally it should be after the blower, but really it doesnt matter. I have done it both ways and has worked fine.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try this
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-273/Kool...r+Foam+Cleaner
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Does it smell like antifreeze?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Call a detail shop and let them handle it. Or get advise from them there the pro's
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:43 AM

It also can be mildew from the condensation of turning on and off the A/C. Some Lysol spray into your vents may help.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRolla

My personal favorite is BG frigifresh. Its a fine mist spray and works fast. I have used oem approved foams and they are alot more messy. foam usually comes out of the seams and cracks as your spraying it. IMHO I would recommend the sprays.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pathogen
It also can be mildew from the condensation of turning on and off the A/C. Some Lysol spray into your vents may help.
Ya the mildew and crap forms especially when you mostly use the lower settings. Its a recommendation to try and use the max blower output a little more often to help prevent the mildew and smell form re occuring as much.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:14 PM

It does not smell like antifreeze, the closest thing I can relate it to would be a barn or something, kind of like hay/animals. That is why my first thought was a rodent or something.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:08 AM

Mice Probably got into the HVAC Box, they got into my DSM box under the dash and made a small nest, just pull it down and clean it out.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1997_GSX
Mice Probably got into the HVAC Box, they got into my DSM box under the dash and made a small nest, just pull it down and clean it out.

If it smells like a barn thats probably what happened. Ive worked on cars that came in where thats what had happened.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:20 AM

Thanks guys. it is in storage for the winter, but I will try all the suggestion when I get it out. Should I expect to see any mice? or just the remnants? haha

Quick Reply: Weird smell when hot air is on