Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP with shifter cable (underhood) bushings

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP with shifter cable (underhood) bushings

Hi guys
I just installed my shifter base bushings without much drama and am now doing the shifter cable underhood ones

i got the stock small one off without too much difficulty but it seems as though the large (bottom ) one is extremely hard to take off and with minimal space i am having a lot of trouble getting it off? ?

any one have any ideas of what to do if the stock bushing is seized to take it off ? ?

cheers thanks in advance
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

I had same problem. I put back the oem ones. Took it to shop and the large one was seized on there and they took out the entire assembly. It had to be cut/mangled off. After installed i hated the new ones, felt stiff and hard to find gears, i lubbed them up with some 3in1 oil, now there great.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:20 PM

Mine were also seized on i had to have it cut off i now have torque solutions solid bushings they feel great!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

i finally got it off, i ended up taking the whole arm off so i could bring it up, still a very big pita though .

shifts feel a lot more solid and click .. still getting use to the feeling though. but seems alright at the moment ! thanks guys !
Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

i just had this problem man.. everyone sugar coats how "easy" of a install this is lol.. which in a way it is, put some wd-40 on it.. some needle nose plyers and just clamp onto the old bushing.. wont work as well without some sort of lube.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremy52048
i just had this problem man.. everyone sugar coats how "easy" of a install this is lol.. which in a way it is, put some wd-40 on it.. some needle nose plyers and just clamp onto the old bushing.. wont work as well without some sort of lube.
hahaha I agree, mine was a PITA... but I lubed it and lubed it and let it sit with PB blaster, finally I pulled like a **** and it popped off and bounced off the ceiling in the garage and I found it a month later on the floor behind the work bench

I used some pliers and a flat head screw driver to pry it off.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
hahaha I agree, mine was a PITA... but I lubed it and lubed it and let it sit with PB blaster, finally I pulled like a **** and it popped off and bounced off the ceiling in the garage and I found it a month later on the floor behind the work bench

I used some pliers and a flat head screw driver to pry it off.
haha! it drove me crazy maaaaan, i was so ticked off and then i looked over at my shelf and saw it... WD-40! i was like thank you lordddd... without that i swear it would have been nearly impossible