Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone else notice the price of Premium Fuel going up?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyoo
more or less because stations dont have to drop prices and can make a little money.. when prices go up they have to raise their prices too so they dont lose money

same thing with banks and any type of loan.. real interest rates are practically zero today and while banks should make some money for loans etc the rates are still quite high relatively (even though they're at all time lows) and probably won't drop much further than what they are now
Isnt there a law against this? Price gouging, illegal, or just frowned upon? Hmmmm...
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think frowned upon is all you can say.

I dont believe there is a such a thing as price gouging. Thats all supply and demand. The demand for fuel right now is higher than ever, so I guess the stations do just keep the prices higher, cause they know they can, to make a little extra money.

If you were to lower the prices too much, there could be a chance of a shortage. Simple economics there.

I guess its just frustrating to take, when you hear of the billions the oil companies make every year.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I know it's a little different but the company I work for sells aviation fuel and over the course of the past year the amount we pay for our fuel has dropped some but not as much as it probably should. However, we're also collecting a larger margin on right now, partially because we can and partially because we need to. When oil was over $100 a barrel we had to really cut our margin to stay competitive.

With oil being a little cheaper right now, I think everyone (suppliers, refineries, gas stations, etc) is trying to take a little piece of the pie and that's why the price at the pump hasn't fallen as much.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

$3.49 (91oct) at the Shell I always go here in El Paso,Tx.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$3.39 for 87 and $3.75 for 93 on my last fill up. Kind of sucks when you you are driving past a station and see a good price for 87 and then when you roll up to the pump its a gamble how big of a jump its going to be for 93 since most stations seem to only show the 87 price on the sign.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe I'm showing my age but I remember when premium was only 10 cents more then mid grade, mid grade was only 10 cents more then regular and diesel was about the price of regular or a few cents lower.

Always wondered what justification gas companies had for having premium gas 20-35 cents more then the next level before.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Dec 14, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Maybe I'm showing my age but I remember when premium was only 10 cents more then mid grade, mid grade was only 1o cents more then regular and diesel was about the price of regular or a few cents left.

Always wondered why justification gas companies had for having premium gas 20-35 cents more then the next level before.
It was that way around here just a few years ago which is why I started this thread. About 2 years ago (I think) premium and mid-grade both went up $.15 for each level so I was paying $.30 more than regular. But within just the last few months premium has gone up again by another $.5-.10.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive noticed it here in Ohio. It used to be .10 increments ( $2.50, $2.60, $2.70). Today at BP 87 was $3.27, 93 was $3.53. Ive seen the mom and pop gas stations charge $3.50 for 87 and $4.09 for 93. I was like you are high off your ***, next gas station.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:01 PM

Last fill up was $4.53/gal in Bellevue, wa for my 11mpg 4x4 with a 383 stroker.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:09 PM
Laz
Evolving Member

Yeah it's definitely higher, but it's still a negligible cost in the grand scheme of things. 93 fuel in general is blown way out of proportion. If you can't afford $3 or $4 extra per fill up, then you have issues and shouldn't be driving around a $30k Evo anyway. It kills me how people can go out to eat for $10 or $20 a pop and then complain about gas being $0.10 higher lol. Same thing with gas station price differences.........a lot of people will drive 5, maybe even 10 miles out of the way to get the best price on gas, though it costs 50 cents per mile to drive a car in the US if you calculate in mileage depreciation, variable expenses like oil changes, tires, wiper blades, regular maintenance based on mileage, etc.

The bottom line is people will drive miles out of the way to get gas for 5 cents cheaper. If you have a 12 gallon tank, you saved.......60 cents. 60 cents for driving out of the way. If you drove more than 1 mile out of the way, you lost money because of the cost of driving in general. Gas needs to be drastically lower priced (like 30-50 cents per gallon) at a different station to warrant driving more than a mile or two out of the way, and we know that's not gonna happen.

Back to the original point: when selling my SRT-4 years ago, a guy came and test drove it and was about to buy it when he was utterly shocked that it required 93 octane. "I just can't afford that, sorry." He can't afford $3 extra per fill up when it's gonna cost $40 to fill it up? $3 per week? Really? You're driving a turbo performance car that requires synthetic oil changes and expensive tires, and the deal breaker is $3 extra for 93 octane????

Sorry I start ranting over gas prices lol.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

I just paid about 3.70 a gallon when I filled up the other day
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Dude where have to been the past few years in a cave or something??? ALL gas prices have went up... I have however noticed that regular is starting to go down somewhat. i seen regular for $3.25 as for Premium i believe it ran me close to $50 bucks to fill up my evo a few weeks back.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
I don't pay attention to be honest. When the car needs gas I put gas in, price is irrelevant.

My .02
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The last gasoline price war I remember occurred here about twenty years ago. Maybe supply and demand keeps those from happening too now. That or something.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Laz
Yeah it's definitely higher, but it's still a negligible cost in the grand scheme of things. 93 fuel in general is blown way out of proportion. If you can't afford $3 or $4 extra per fill up, then you have issues and shouldn't be driving around a $30k Evo anyway. It kills me how people can go out to eat for $10 or $20 a pop and then complain about gas being $0.10 higher lol. Same thing with gas station price differences.........a lot of people will drive 5, maybe even 10 miles out of the way to get the best price on gas, though it costs 50 cents per mile to drive a car in the US if you calculate in mileage depreciation, variable expenses like oil changes, tires, wiper blades, regular maintenance based on mileage, etc.

The bottom line is people will drive miles out of the way to get gas for 5 cents cheaper. If you have a 12 gallon tank, you saved.......60 cents. 60 cents for driving out of the way. If you drove more than 1 mile out of the way, you lost money because of the cost of driving in general. Gas needs to be drastically lower priced (like 30-50 cents per gallon) at a different station to warrant driving more than a mile or two out of the way, and we know that's not gonna happen.

Back to the original point: when selling my SRT-4 years ago, a guy came and test drove it and was about to buy it when he was utterly shocked that it required 93 octane. "I just can't afford that, sorry." He can't afford $3 extra per fill up when it's gonna cost $40 to fill it up? $3 per week? Really? You're driving a turbo performance car that requires synthetic oil changes and expensive tires, and the deal breaker is $3 extra for 93 octane????

Sorry I start ranting over gas prices lol.
Originally Posted by donmeca2020
Dude where have to been the past few years in a cave or something??? ALL gas prices have went up... I have however noticed that regular is starting to go down somewhat. i seen regular for $3.25 as for Premium i believe it ran me close to $50 bucks to fill up my evo a few weeks back.
I think both of you missed the point of my original post. I'm not talking about the overall cost of 93 or about how gas prices have gone up. The point of this thread was talk about the price difference between 93 and 87 and how that difference has increased lately. I was just curious as to whether or not others are also seeing this in their area, and if anyone has an educated reason as to why this is happening.

Quick Reply: Anyone else notice the price of Premium Fuel going up?