Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone else notice the price of Premium Fuel going up?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we should organize a particular day where nobody buys gas from gas stations - that will hurt profits and show them that they cannot continue to raise prices for consumers.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I don't pay attention to be honest. When the car needs gas I put gas in, price is irrelevant.

My .02
Some people have to drive a distance for work. Price increases add up over a months time for sure. Hell I bought a Civic just to drive to work and it's already paid itself off in 1 year. I don't like paying extra money for the same exact product I did a few years ago. I'd rather spend it on things I like. It's a matter of principal.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gas is dropping here, just the other day regular was under $3 and Premium has been hovering in the $3.30ish range, plus shopping at Kroger for everything I can get an extra $.20 to $.30 off a gallon at Shell or go to Kroger and get an additional $.03 off on top of that. Sucks to be you guys.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:10 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ian0611
I think both of you missed the point of my original post. I'm not talking about the overall cost of 93 or about how gas prices have gone up. The point of this thread was talk about the price difference between 93 and 87 and how that difference has increased lately. I was just curious as to whether or not others are also seeing this in their area, and if anyone has an educated reason as to why this is happening.
I know the point of your post, I was just ranting lol. Unfortunately there is an increase in the difference between 87 and 93 -- I was just adding that in general, gas price fluctuations are blown out of proportion. I haven't looked at gas station prices in 10 years because getting the best deal means you saved like $1.00 max and probably drove out of the way to do it. Errghh I derailed again LOL, sorry
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually search online before going to fill up. It only takes 2 minutes and fortunately for me I only drive 2 miles extra to the cheapest shell. I prefer shell because I can use my Ralph rewards card and get a $.10 discount per gal. The cheapest I've paid this month for 91 here in California is $3.55 with the $.10 discount.

I'm just happy that gas is cheaper now as compared to 2 months ago when it was $4.05.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Laz
I know the point of your post, I was just ranting lol. Unfortunately there is an increase in the difference between 87 and 93 -- I was just adding that in general, gas price fluctuations are blown out of proportion. I haven't looked at gas station prices in 10 years because getting the best deal means you saved like $1.00 max and probably drove out of the way to do it. Errghh I derailed again LOL, sorry
No prob! I usually go to same gas station every week because it's close to my house and work. There are certain parts of my town where gas is a little cheaper so if I'm ever over that way I'll fill up, but I never drive out of my way to save money on gas.

One thing that I do do to try save a few pennies though is to pay attention to the weekly "spikes" in gas prices. I'm sure others have seen this too, but around here gas usually jumps about $.10 overnight once a week and then slowly falls each day thereafter, so I try to time my fill ups before the spike each week.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

I filled up my tank yesterday at the same Shell and it went down .10 cents, $3.39 for 91oct. I would be happy if it stayed at $3.00 91oct.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Gas and diesel prices are very demand side orientated.

Depending on Jet, Diesel, Gas prices, refineries can change their output to get the most profit from their product and not flood the market with another. They also have large tank farms and there are even entire facilities of tanks to hold product until it is at preferable pricing to sell.

The cheap oil (Bakken) is still very limited in where it is transported to. To the places that can get it, the refineries that do have it will sell the finished product at competitive rates to their competitors. So, until all competitors have access to the cheap oil, unless refineries start going out of business (for reasons of less demand), gas prices won't drop.

California markets are isolated due to their stringent environmental laws.

Until pipeline infrastructure is put in to get more tar sands and Bakken out of the middle of this continent to the major coastal ports and refineries, oil product prices are not going to change much.

The only people benefitting from the cheap oil right now are refineries.

Granted I am not in the marketing side of oil product prices but I am a little in touch with the industry
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not complaining about gas being high (we still pay less then most other countries with the exception of the OPEC nations). I just would love to know the justification of why the different grades are no longer 10 cents apart. Seems like a money grab to me.

Gas has been coming down in price compared to a few months ago. It only costs about 54 bux to fill wife's STi as opposed to 61 a few months ago.

On a side note Diesel has had the biggest jump in price that I;ve seen. Its more expensive then premium most of the time.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Damn, gas dropped again. Now regular is holding at $2.96 a gallon and Premium is still around the $3.3x mark.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:34 PM

bet that wont last for long tho..
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Cost less then 50 bux to fill the STi......I know I can dream but its funny how no one reports about the gas being low.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So just to drive home the point of this thread check out what happened to me just tonight...

Went out of town in our CX7 (which also requires Premium) to have a little Christmas gathering with some family. Pulled into a Mobil where the advertised price for Regular was $3.25 (Premium price was not advertised). So I'm thinking not bad... that's about $.05 cheaper than around our house. Great, right?!? WRONG!!! Premium was $3.85 a gallon That's $.60 a gallon more than Regular!!!! What gives man?!? Why all that hate for people that need Premium lately??

Like I said, anyone have a good explanation for that??

BTW- I'm not whining or complaining here, just looking for some answers.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Longer carbon chains require better refining technology. I guess if there are no local refineries with effective catalytic cracking units, then any premium import may have to come from a long ways away.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Cost less then 50 bux to fill the STi......I know I can dream but its funny how no one reports about the gas being low.
Lol so true.... I love gas in SC, regular is sitting at $2.86 near me. Cost me a touch over $40 to put over a little over 12.5 gallons in the ride yesterday.

Quick Reply: Anyone else notice the price of Premium Fuel going up?