Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

US EVO - 6 spd transmission

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2002, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US EVO - 6 spd transmission

with all the talk about 5-spd and 6-spd transmission, suppose that the EVO that came to US was a 5-spd (i hope it wont).

Do you think it's possible to change it to 6-SPD and would there be a performance gain/loss??
Old Jul 24, 2002, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Well. First off the reason the Evo doesn't have a 6-speed to begin with is important. The Evo is a rally car. Rally cars do not need excessively high topspeeds. Now I believe the main purpose of the 6-speed/dual overdrive transmission is to allow a car to reach a very high topspeed. What rally car needs to be going faster than 120mph anyways thus no need for 6 speeds or even 5th gear for that matter.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Everything is possible with enough money. The standard Evo tranny seems perfectly competent for anything you can throw at it. I think the money tossed into a 6 SPD conversion (if it comes Stateside without one), would not outweigh any benefits.

Every transmission will techincally soak power from the flywheel to the wheels, but if you mean a loss from the already accounted loss, than no, if it's a properly created tranny. Trannies can be geared for a wide powerband or a sprint powerband. One lets you achieve a high top speed but for corners, isn't the best. Sprint gearing is just the opposite, good for corners and keeping revs in the powerband but will limit your top speed. Just like a bicycle: Road bikes have big gears since it's mostly straight. Mountain bikes have shorter gears to climb hills and to cope with tight singletrack.

Quite a rant that was...
Old Jul 24, 2002, 01:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Well. First off the reason the Evo doesn't have a 6-speed to begin with is important. The Evo is a rally car. Rally cars do not need excessively high topspeeds. Now I believe the main purpose of the 6-speed/dual overdrive transmission is to allow a car to reach a very high topspeed. What rally car needs to be going faster than 120mph anyways thus no need for 6 speeds or even 5th gear for that matter.
Most of the top WRC cars have sequential 6-speeds and they really need them due to the very short gearing in there.

MrAWD
Old Jul 24, 2002, 01:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just because a car comes with a 6 speed doesn't make it any faster than one with only 5. It comes down to what gearing you have,shorter the gearing the qiucker the acceleration, taller gearing higher top speed and gas mileage. In the Evo's case I think wanted to compete more directly with the WRX sti which has 6 forward gears, but not on the basis of having a higher top end, but to reduce the noise level at cruising speed on the highway. As it is now the Evo Vll with a 5 speed has a pretty short 5th gear and is reving at about 3500rpm at 60mph, which along with the higher revs comes higher noise levels, so if they put a 6 speed in the Evo Vlll it would be for this reason and also to get better gas mileage. I just hope the first 5 gears are pretty short.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MrAWD

Most of the top WRC cars have sequential 6-speeds and they really need them due to the very short gearing in there.

MrAWD
Did not know that.

EDIT: Also instead of saying rally car dunno if that part matters, but I meant rally-inspired production car. Not the literal rally car or any real rally car. So I wasn't referring in it needing a 6-speed in that sense.

Last edited by 2wdSQL; Jul 24, 2002 at 08:35 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 06:22 AM

You guys don't want a 6sp.

Reason being is that you have a high power 4wd car. You want a STRONG tranny. That is usually the first and most expensive thing that will break.

Usually a 5sp have more beefier gears than a 6sp because there's more room in the gear box for 5. Also 6sp is only for either - top speed high horse power cars OR peaky narrrow power band cars like the Celica to keep the gears close.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

I personally like 5 speeds for the reason of having longer gears, and I don't drive a 4g63 car, but I would think a 5 speed would be better because you'd have longer time in each gear, further reducing the turbo lag effect. EVO VII prototype in GT3 by the way has 6 speeds while the VII Rally Car has 5, don't know if that means much.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

6 speed transmissions do not simply make a car have a high top speed. They can be used for any number of reasons, but the most common reason is to make the gear-ratios between the gears closer than possible in a 5 speed, and thus keeping the engine more in its power band, hence, rally cars GREATLY benefit from the use of a 6 speed, as do most any other cars. Some cars simply use 6th gear as an overdrive gear to make for better gas mileage while the actual top speed of the car can usually only be reached in 5th.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:26 AM

a sixth gear really isnt going to get you anywhere different anyways. if the car is brought to the us it is going to have a speed limiter. so unless you just like driving at low rpms on the highway a 6th gear isnt going to do much of anything. i drive an rsx type-s with a 6spd and i heardly even use the sixth gear. im so used to not having one i dont even think about it. plus i think the evo6 and evo7 only had five gears.

but if it uses the same rally inspired gear boxes then they will have really short gears. like 25 in 2nd. and again with a sohc engine your rev limits are low too. you really want something with longer gears like a 5spd. just cos you have more gears doesnt make you faster. my five-speed integra is faster than my rsx any day.

and if the evo comes to the us will it be turbocharged? or will it be the same dissapointing weak engine like this one has. it wont be near the evo6 with 180-300 stock hp. you could boost those things up to about 15psi without worrying about detonation and run around 360hp. we're gonna get some dinky thing with maybe 190...damn you stupid emmisions laws!
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

we'll get a turbo charged dohc 4g63 gauaranteed and if everything they say is true 5 sec 0-60 so probably 250 hp plus, then you can turn the boost up and tha whole world is screwed
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:38 AM

-5 sec 0-60...i dont know... my integra is running 11psi and runs 313hp...and i dont do a -5 0-60...and my car is way lighter than the lancer.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

AWD helps
Old Jul 24, 2002, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So does driver ability.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Dem1K
AWD helps
ah, didnt think of that, doesnt burn at the start...but it still adds a lot of extra weight.

Quick Reply: US EVO - 6 spd transmission