Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buschur Downpipe Issue

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur Downpipe Issue

Ok so I order a downpipe from Buschur and have been fighting my old one out all morning. When I got it out I realized the flange that mounts to the o2 housing on the Buschur DP looks nothing like the one on the old pipe. Is the Buschur DP not made for a donut gasket? Do I just mash it on the donut gasket and tighten it down?

Name:  I2O9N.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  503 Bytes

Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Buschur down pipe does not use a donut gasket. They made the down pipe that way to eliminate the donut gasket and exhaust leaks that come with having a donut gasket. It simply just bolts up to your o2 housing.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

alright, Thanks for the quick reply. Now I just have to figure out what to do about the DP and HFC being 6" too long for my catback.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my BR downpipe would never, ever seal right. I gave up and got another
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that a 3" dp? the pics make it look tiny. My guess about your cat back not fitting is to take it to a shop and have them cut it to length.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Yea it's a 3". That flange makes it look smaller than it is. And it's sitting by (I think) an 80mm RS-R car delete.

I test fit the downpipe and I need 3.5"-4" cut off the catback. It took a sledgehammer but I got the mid pipe off and I'll get it cut down tomorrow.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

I hate that I had to do this but it was my only option.
Whoever installed the DP that was on my car completely screwed the threads on my o2 housing. The bolt on the right side was just a generic lowes bolt with a nut on the end of it. That was a pain to get out because its such a tight area. The left side was just obviously forced in and trashed the threads.

So I got two bolts with washers, dropped them down through the o2 housing. Lined up the DP and put a washer, lock washer and nut on from the bottom. I had to use a crows foot on a long extension to hold the nut to get the right side bolt off so I just used it again to hold the bolt and crank down the nut.

I checked everything last night and its all still tight but it makes me nervous so I'll probably check it fairly often. Will this "fix" be alright? I don't like having things rigged up like this so I have added a new o2 housing to my list but it may be a while before I can do that one.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Buy a new o2 housing (megan are fine and pretty much all o2 housings are the same)

sell the buschur downpipe

get a real downpipe with a donut gasket

get the proper bolts (the ones with the "cam springs" on them

install the proper fitting downpipe with a not-trashed o2 housing

your fix will be fine, but like others have said, expect it to leak. exhaust systems need to have flex in them for when the engine rev's up, otherwise it's straining everything. it either needs the donut gasket or a flexpipe in the downpipe, neither of which the buschur downpipe has