Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Gauges; Mech vs Elec?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gauges; Mech vs Elec?

Which is a better purchase, mechanical or electrical gauges? Which is better, or why do you guys prefer one over the other?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda a tough question, it's all in the application. If you want accuracy mechanic is the way to go..... unless there is a digital gauge that runs out multiple decimal places.

Having said that, the original owner of my evo had a carbon ultra light boost gauge and the aem A/F gauge.

I've since replaced the boost gauge to the digital aem gauge. I like the look better, and i dont have to worry about the. Mechnaical gauges back light at night so i could see how much boost i was pushing at night, so it comes down to what you like..
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Which is easier to install?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I like electrical gauges as you only run wires to sending units.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Electrical gauges tend to read more accurately and read more quickly. You also get fancy features like warning lights, beeping, memory functions etc. I think they are easier to install because you just wire the sending unit in the engine bay, and the wires go to the gauge. Versus mechanical gauges, you have to run a vacuum tube, hose, or whatever type of gauge you are installing. That said, I have an Autometer mech boost gauge because it works, I like the look of it, and it was cheap. I have an electronic AEM wideband and it cost alot more, but it works great. Not a great comparison of gauges, but the only 2 I have in my car. As far as ease of install, depends how mechanically inclined you are. Boost gauge took me maybe 20-25 min to install, might take you 3-4 hrs or maybe 15 min. Not hard to do, but you need to know what you are doing at least. There are plenty of how to install threads on here, GL.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
mechanical boost, electric everything else.

do you really want to run an oil line into the cabin of your car for a mechanical oil pressure or temperature gauge? didn't think so
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Excellent info, thanks gentlemen.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:05 PM

I always find mechanical are more accurate with quicker readings.

Electric seems to be like a warning light that something has already gone wrong.

Depends what your application is for though (strictly functional race or more cosmetic street). Boost should definitely be mechanical though because you really want to know if you get a spike or hesitation or whatever with your boost.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

I plan on doing 3 gauges; Boost, AFR, and I haven't really settled on my third. What is everyone usually doing for their 3rd gauge? I suppose I could do oil press but I do kinda want a digital water temp gauge.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
why water temp? you have the in-car gauge that will give you an accurate enough reading for that. i'd run either oil pressure or temp if you want something useful
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:24 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't support ProSport, I think their gauges are garbage, but this video is still useful.

Mechanical on left, electrical on right

Last edited by golgo13; Dec 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AJCaron12
I plan on doing 3 gauges; Boost, AFR, and I haven't really settled on my third. What is everyone usually doing for their 3rd gauge? I suppose I could do oil press but I do kinda want a digital water temp gauge.
I have noticed that many people like to use the oil pressure. But, if you suddenly lose oil pressure on your gauge chances are you've already blown a major component in your motor. My thoughts with the water gauge is that if it starts to creep up, I could stop the vehicle before it overheats. I do autoX the vehicle, that's the hardest I run it.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
mechanical boost, electric everything else.

do you really want to run an oil line into the cabin of your car for a mechanical oil pressure or temperature gauge? didn't think so
^^^My personal reason, response. You havent lived until you have had an oil leak at 40psi--just recongizing there is a leak is half a quart of thought.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Now I would want the brightness of my gauges to be the same brightness of the instrument cluster. But I'm seeing that the gauges are wired into the dimmer switch...? Is there a way I can dim the gauges separately from the instrument cluster?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
why water temp? you have the in-car gauge that will give you an accurate enough reading for that. i'd run either oil pressure or temp if you want something useful
Not really man. The stock gauge goes to the middle or so when the thermostat opens. The water temp can vary from 80 deg C to 105 deg C and the stock gauge DOES NOT MOVE. That's a wide range.

Quick Reply: Gauges; Mech vs Elec?