Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

the car shaking with no idling problem

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the car shaking with no idling problem

Hey guys,

Im very new to evos and just bought an evo 6 pretty much stock with a full exhaust.

I just bought the car about a month ago, and now i feel that there is a slight problem with the car. I checked the previous service history but i cant find anything odd

Situation:
after cold starting the car, and driving it for a while, i come to a set of traffic lights, brake, and put it back into neutral and let the clutch back out. about 10seconds later, my evo feels like its choking. in the cabin it feels like an earthquake, shaking up and down, nothing too dramatic but i get a feeling that there is something wrong. I check the idle and its stable which i think means theres no problem with the A&F ratio... correct me if im wrong.
i checked the ecu and looking at it, it looks pretty stock, no sign of ecu flash.

Could it be the TPS or 02 sensor?

if any of u have had the same problem, please let me know.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So, the rpm's don't drop down at all during this shaking? Could be a dirty maf or a loose connection to the maf. When was the last time the plugs were changed? Boost leak test?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:50 AM

thanks for the comment tom.
yeah, the idle is stable at around 800-900rpm
now the plugs seem to be changed 5000kms ago. do you think it should be changed? i thought iridiums last abit longer than the copper ones.
Il check the connections for the maf sensor, it could also be abit dirty cause its an old car with low mileage. one question, even if it is something to do with the maf sensor, then shouldn't the revs be unstable? same for the boost leakage. I put soap water into a cleaner bottle and sprayed it everywhere, i could find any bubbles so im guessing theres no leakage.

or it just might be the good old quakes lol
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, so the idle is stable, thats weird. The plugs are fine if they were just changed 5k km ago. If you had a boost leak your idle and vacuum readings would be fluctuating, but you said they aren't. Could be an electrical issue. Something making a big drain on the alternator and making the engine work harder. I'm just guessing though. Are there any signs that the alternator could be going out? dimming lights with electronics on?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:40 AM

i did have a on board gps installed before i pruchased the car, il double check the voltage on the alternator. that might just be the problem
there isnt any dimming of lights as i recall, but i guess il have to double check with that in mind.

Thanks alot for the helpful advice!!!