Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

basic tools

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also , what size torque wrench you guys go by? 3/8 or 1/2?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by a10495
also , what size torque wrench you guys go by? 3/8 or 1/2?
I like you man, you sound serious about wanting to learn, and that you'll do what it takes. Some people on here are pretty stupid but you sound like you have potential to do some great things. For starting off, I would grab a 1/2" torque wrench, as you will need this to torque your wheels when installing them. I have a 3/8" torque wrench at work, but I rarely use it. Craftsman tools are perfect for use at home and that's what I would pick up if I were you. Good luck man, if you need any help don't hesitate to message me.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by AJCaron12
I like you man, you sound serious about wanting to learn, and that you'll do what it takes. Some people on here are pretty stupid but you sound like you have potential to do some great things. For starting off, I would grab a 1/2" torque wrench, as you will need this to torque your wheels when installing them. I have a 3/8" torque wrench at work, but I rarely use it. Craftsman tools are perfect for use at home and that's what I would pick up if I were you. Good luck man, if you need any help don't hesitate to message me.
thank you! I am serious, when i want to learn something i'll always find my way of getting to learn it if its watching it through youtube, or doing it myself. thank you! still young and got 1 more year of high school after this! I'm trying to experience all the things i can that can put me out there!
ok 1/2" torque wrench it is, need the leverage for the tires anyways! can i also use it on the oil drain plug? i believe the torque is somewhere between 15 and 20 !
is this a good tool set? it's perfect for my budget and leaves me a good amount of money for a good quality torque wrench!
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-evolv...&blockType=G15

thank you! will do! it's great meeting people like you who are willing to help me out!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

thank you! I am serious, when i want to learn something i'll always find my way of getting to learn it if its watching it through youtube, or doing it myself. thank you! still young and got 1 more year of high school after this! I'm trying to experience all the things i can that can put me out there!
ok 1/2" torque wrench it is, need the leverage for the tires anyways! can i also use it on the oil drain plug? i believe the torque is somewhere between 15 and 20 !
is this a good tool set? it's perfect for my budget and leaves me a good amount of money for a good quality torque wrench!
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-evolv...&blockType=G15

thank you! will do! it's great meeting people like you who are willing to help me out!
You don't need to torque the oil drain plug, just snug it up with your 3/8" ratchet. Also, don't remove the lug nuts using your 1/2" torque wrench, only install them using the torque wrench. That kit seems to be ok for you to pick up at this time.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:32 PM

You don't need to torque the oil drain plug, just snug it up with your 3/8" ratchet. Also, don't remove the lug nuts using your 1/2" torque wrench, only install them using the torque wrench. That kit seems to be ok for you to pick up at this time.
ok! and i've heard about that i have to just look for a (i think it's called) breaker bar? to remove the lugs? and ok ! i'm pretty sure it has most of all the things i need to start off with the basics! it does leave me room from a really nice torque wrench >$100

any recommendations on torque wrenches?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

ok! and i've heard about that i have to just look for a (i think it's called) breaker bar? to remove the lugs? and ok ! i'm pretty sure it has most of all the things i need to start off with the basics! it does leave me room from a really nice torque wrench >$100

any recommendations on torque wrenches?
Use a 1/2" breaker bar to break the lug nuts free, then jack the vehicle up and remove the lug nuts. I would buy a 1/2" Craftsman torque wrench.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:51 PM

Use a 1/2" breaker bar to break the lug nuts free, then jack the vehicle up and remove the lug nuts. I would buy a 1/2" Craftsman torque wrench.
alright 1/2" breaker bar and long wall sockets in amazon cart for purchase soon,
and this torque wrench
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micro...3&blockType=G3
and tool set in sears car ready for purchase soon when i am ready also! (i hope that torque wrench is good! it has a lifetime warranty on it!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't get Craftsman ratchets, they always go crappy after a few uses. I would get Stanley ratchets or something like that and Craftsman sockets. For the ratcheting wrenches, I know Sears has a set for 60 bucks right now both imperial and metric sizes, it's a Gearwrench brand and they work great. A breaker bar you can get from Autozone for $20, thats where mine was from and I've had it 4 years now. I put a 4 ft cheater bar on it once and stood on it to break one of those big axle bolts loose and it worked perfectly. Oh and a good flashlight. My snap-on one was 12 bucks on eBay, it's small but really heavy and solid and it's 220 lumens, it'll light up something 70 yards away or so, it's stupid bright.

Last edited by k_sheanh91; Dec 23, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This here is a great tool set for $100 IMO, I have been using it nonstop for the past 2 years. So far none of the sockets have cracked or gotten broken. It includes pretty much everything you will need to do basic work on the car and around the house. The tool set is also small enough that it can fit in the backseat floorboard.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...a#.UNemAOTBGSo

Last edited by evo8426; Dec 23, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by k_sheanh91
I wouldn't get Craftsman ratchets, they always go crappy after a few uses. I would get Stanley ratchets or something like that and Craftsman sockets. For the ratcheting wrenches, I know Sears has a set for 60 bucks right now both imperial and metric sizes, it's a Gearwrench brand and they work great. A breaker bar you can get from Autozone for $20, thats where mine was from and I've had it 4 years now. I put a 4 ft cheater bar on it once and stood on it to break one of those big axle bolts loose and it worked perfectly. Oh and a good flashlight. My snap-on one was 12 bucks on eBay, it's small but really heavy and solid and it's 220 lumens, it'll light up something 70 yards away or so, it's stupid bright.
ohh ok! can i get some links of some of these stanley ratchets please?
and for the breaker bar i'll just do that and a light ill get one too!
thanks!

Originally Posted by evo8426
This here is a great tool set for $100 IMO, I have been using it nonstop for the past 2 years. So far none of the sockets have cracked or gotten broken. It includes pretty much everything you will need to do basic work on the car and around the house. The tool set is also small enough that it can fit in the backseat floorboard.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...a#.UNemAOTBGSo
this is a pretty good set! i'll keep this one on my list! thank you so much!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sears has their sets on sale at like 50% off for xmas...take a walk down and go see what you can get...100.00 will go a long way and while I dont like all their tooks and indeed they have lost quality in recnt years for what your after and how you will be using them will be fine.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by meckert
Sears has their sets on sale at like 50% off for xmas...take a walk down and go see what you can get...100.00 will go a long way and while I dont like all their tooks and indeed they have lost quality in recnt years for what your after and how you will be using them will be fine.
ok i will be thank you!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

for the money craftsman can have good sets. but you REALLLY need to look at what they come with. Even with their more expensive sets, you'll be needing some stuff that's not there, depending on what you get into with the car. What craftsman will do is throw in a bunch of BS that you don't need, that's cheap, to make a good 75piece kit be labels as a "125 pieces!"

probably can be better off buying smaller sets. just buy a 2 different ratchets, and a set of metric sockets in both shallow and deep. Also, extensions of various lengths. Then, a full set of wrenches in metric. It won't be 200 pieces, but it will be the stuff you need. You'll always need more though, like prybars, etc. Craftsman stuff, though no longer all USA made, still has a warranty that they honor quite well (only applies to hand tools, not power tools).
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

alright 1/2" breaker bar and long wall sockets in amazon cart for purchase soon,
and this torque wrench
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micro...3&blockType=G3
and tool set in sears car ready for purchase soon when i am ready also! (i hope that torque wrench is good! it has a lifetime warranty on it!
That is a perfect torque wrench for you.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by AreSTG
for the money craftsman can have good sets. but you REALLLY need to look at what they come with. Even with their more expensive sets, you'll be needing some stuff that's not there, depending on what you get into with the car. What craftsman will do is throw in a bunch of BS that you don't need, that's cheap, to make a good 75piece kit be labels as a "125 pieces!"

probably can be better off buying smaller sets. just buy a 2 different ratchets, and a set of metric sockets in both shallow and deep. Also, extensions of various lengths. Then, a full set of wrenches in metric. It won't be 200 pieces, but it will be the stuff you need. You'll always need more though, like prybars, etc. Craftsman stuff, though no longer all USA made, still has a warranty that they honor quite well (only applies to hand tools, not power tools).
yeah i kind of realised that! so i might just get a stanley set from amazon with 2 ratchets and a bunch of extensions and sockets . i'll buy whatever else i need that i am missing.

That is a perfect torque wrench for you.
alright cool i'll get this when i am ready! thanks

Quick Reply: basic tools