Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

basic tools

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
basic tools

hey guys! I just have a questions, what are the basic tools for all the maintenance jobs for your evo?
like which sockets? what size ratchets? torque wrenches? ramps? jacks? anything for brake pads?

thank you!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Are you equipping a garage shop or will you be working outside where everything has to be carried in and out?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

I use ramps and a floor jack with jackstands. You can get by without the ramps. You need a metric socket set. You use mostly 10, 12, 14s, with a few larger ones thrown in for lug nets and oil plugs ect. Unfortunently if you get into a little deeper maintenance like timeing belts and clutches you need a good combination of end wrenches and flex sockets... These cars are a pain in the *** to work on imo.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:40 PM
Mao

Metric 10's 12's and 14's are a good way to start with a multi-jointed ratchet. Typically going to the hardware store to get a tool to get the job done isn't frowned upon.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
17mm, 19mm, 21mm, 24mm

basically sockets and wrenchs for 8m-24mm
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Are you equipping a garage shop or will you be working outside where everything has to be carried in and out?
I will most likely be walking in and out
Originally Posted by icmanevo
I use ramps and a floor jack with jackstands. You can get by without the ramps. You need a metric socket set. You use mostly 10, 12, 14s, with a few larger ones thrown in for lug nets and oil plugs ect. Unfortunently if you get into a little deeper maintenance like timeing belts and clutches you need a good combination of end wrenches and flex sockets... These cars are a pain in the *** to work on imo.
A family member of mine has ramps. Do you have any recommended socket sets? Link please?

Originally Posted by Mao
Metric 10's 12's and 14's are a good way to start with a multi-jointed ratchet. Typically going to the hardware store to get a tool to get the job done isn't frowned upon.
Ok thank you!
Originally Posted by llDemonll
17mm, 19mm, 21mm, 24mm

basically sockets and wrenchs for 8m-24mm
Alright thank you !
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Electric impact is also a great investment. I didn't know how I lived without it until I got it. Makes everything a lot easier to do.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by icmanevo
Not as bad as an WRX or STI engine bay. Have you see what you need to take off just to change the air filter? Jesus.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

A breaker bar, sockets short and deep, and ratcheting wrenches! And an electric impact wrench is probably the best thing ive bought but if you do, make sure you get swivel sockets.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would visit the "how-to" section in this forum. You may find some answers in there as well.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

All these posts and everyone forgot the most important tools you need.

a) a decent laptop
b) a tatrix cable.

Now you have all your ECU diagnostics covered.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
tbh if you have to ask this you probably shouldn't be the one working on your car

Last edited by djdnav; Dec 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by djdnav
tbo if you have to ask this you probably shouldn't be the one working on your car
I don't think that is true at all, everyone needs to start somewhere.

I highly recommend the flex-head gear wrenches in 8-19mm; I don't know how many times I've used them, but they are life (and sanity) savers.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In all honesty, I wish I did this when I first started buying tools....Buy one of the huge metric sets that comes with like 150 pieces or 200 pieces in its own neat little organized case/box. The amount of money Ive spent buying things I needed individually as I needed them is retarded.

For the brake pads, Ive always just used my hands to spread the pads. Its quicker and simpler.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
Electric impact is also a great investment. I didn't know how I lived without it until I got it. Makes everything a lot easier to do.
hahahah i don't have that much money! i'm only 17
Originally Posted by AznEvoIX
Not as bad as an WRX or STI engine bay. Have you see what you need to take off just to change the air filter? Jesus.
i've heard about those! lol a PAINN
Originally Posted by k_sheanh91
A breaker bar, sockets short and deep, and ratcheting wrenches! And an electric impact wrench is probably the best thing ive bought but if you do, make sure you get swivel sockets.
can you provide me with some links of some of those please?
Originally Posted by AJCaron12
I would visit the "how-to" section in this forum. You may find some answers in there as well.
will do!
Originally Posted by chrisw
All these posts and everyone forgot the most important tools you need.

a) a decent laptop
b) a tatrix cable.

Now you have all your ECU diagnostics covered.
hahahah! thank you!
Originally Posted by djdnav
tbh if you have to ask this you probably shouldn't be the one working on your car
well i know how to change oil,your basic maintenance, etc.. im only 17 i dont really want to keep asking to borrow tools and then the hassle of going to return it. i have all other tools except the sockets! and wrenches!
Originally Posted by charon2123
I don't think that is true at all, everyone needs to start somewhere.

I highly recommend the flex-head gear wrenches in 8-19mm; I don't know how many times I've used them, but they are life (and sanity) savers.
thank you! everybody does need a start! i'm pretty sure when you first bought your tools you were wondering what you need and what you don't need!
ok i'll check those wrenches out!
Originally Posted by Svendiesel
In all honesty, I wish I did this when I first started buying tools....Buy one of the huge metric sets that comes with like 150 pieces or 200 pieces in its own neat little organized case/box. The amount of money Ive spent buying things I needed individually as I needed them is retarded.

For the brake pads, Ive always just used my hands to spread the pads. Its quicker and simpler.
thats why i'm doing this! so we all have an idea of what to get and what not to get! so we dont go back and fourth wasting our time! ok would you go with those craftsman kits? or are there other alternatives? $250 for 150 pieces seems a lot for me!

for the brake pads, just need some gloves then! thats a good $2 buy!

Quick Reply: basic tools