Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Crap.. Misfire again and now Rattle

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012 | 10:08 PM

Crap.. Misfire again and now Rattle

About a month ago i posted about a high rpm misfire and everyone told me just change the spark plugs .. It worked .. But now a month later and about 1,000 miles... The misfire is back.. also now from the front left side Only sometimes will i get a rattle that sounds like Something caught in a heat shield...

This all started after a Road trip in the car... Ran great the whole way.. Still does run great besides the misfire... the rattle is not depended on Engine rpm or Transmission ... Checked all inter cooling piping and such.. Started after i did a pull after threw second on the on ramp to the highway after work hit red line and now eh..

Also a odd fact the rattle and misfire will never happen at the same time.. only 1 will happen at any given time.. only thing i could even imagine is a coil.. still don't know how a coil could make a rattle though

Last edited by Discopotato; Dec 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012 | 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Remove the spark plugs and inspect them. They should all look uniform. Perform a compression test to make sure the engine is mechanically sound.

If it is, do a very detailed inspection of individual components, as well as nut and bolt tightness.
Old Dec 27, 2012 | 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Does it have a CEL?

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Dec 27, 2012 | 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

I've had missfire at hight rpm/high boost and it was my spark plug gap. Gapped it .025 and never has done it again. Under high boost it will blow spark out so have to narrow the gap.
Old Dec 28, 2012 | 09:43 AM

I found the problem... It was the spark plug .. The porcelain around the tip cracked and was loose when i pulled the plugs a second time it was only being held on by the tip and the gaping.. on that note always be careful when buying plugs from amazon and denso