Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mirage-Evo Conversion Questions!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mirage-Evo Conversion Questions!

I've been in love with Evo's ever since I went to England in 2002. My uncle that lives there had an Evo V in white that was beautiful. I've been a Mitsu fan since. While I just got my 2012 RalliArt 2 months ago for 26k, I've always wanted an Evo IV or V. The VI is cool too but only the Tommi Makinen Edition is what I would want. However, a week ago I read up on people converting Mitsubishi Mirages into Evos!!! This made me so excited!! Reading up on it I found out that this is nothing relatively cheap at all. It costs people more than 12k to convert it fully. That knocked my hopes down a little bit. But then I had a couple of ideas in my mind that made me wonder if I could still do it but be a little lighter on the pocket. Here are a few ways that i thought of!

Option 1
I was wondering if I buy a 2001 Mirage and buy a Evo IV or V from Japan (since they are really cheap), can I have them disassemble it and send it over here completely in parts? That way is wayyyyy cheaper considering that I'll have all the parts I need.
Option 2
Just import the front end. I've heard that people have just imported front ends relatively cheap but then I would still need to get so many other parts along with it. Also, would buying a front end from Canada have any trouble with customs?

Option 3
Just outsource all the parts needed for it to happen

Any type of help would be wonderful! After seeing these mirage converted evos, I wish I would never have bought the RalliArt and instead would have spent some money to invest in a conversion. I can still pull it off, but my budget is much tigher now. Plus having a 2012 RalliArt and a older Evo together in the same garage would be AWESOME!

Last edited by DhillonRA; Dec 27, 2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: mistake when writing a sentence
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:42 PM
Mao

Save up some and take a deeper hit when you can for the 4WD platform. Looks is one thing but once you drive an actual Evo you'll find it worthwhile.
Also do you already have a mirage?
Originally Posted by DhillonRA
I've been in love with Evo's ever since I went to England in 2002. My uncle that lives there had an Evo V in white that was beautiful. I've been a Mitsu fan since. While I just got my 2012 RalliArt 2 months ago for 26k, I've always wanted an Evo IV or V. The VI is cool too but only the Tommi Makinen Edition is what I would want. However, a week ago I read up on people converting Mitsubishi Mirages into Evos!!! This made me so excited!! Reading up on it I found out that this is nothing relatively cheap at all. It costs people more than 12k to convert it fully. That knocked my hopes down a little bit. But then I had a couple of ideas in my mind that made me wonder if I could still do it but be a little lighter on the pocket. Here are a few ways that i thought of!

Option 1
I was wondering if I buy a 2001 Mirage and buy a Evo IV or V from Japan (since they are really cheap), can I have them disassemble it and send it over here completely in parts? That way is wayyyyy cheaper considering that I'll have all the parts I need.
Option 2
Just import the front end. I've heard that people have just imported front ends relatively cheap but then I would still need to get so many other parts along with it. Also, would buying a front end from Canada have any trouble with customs?

Option 3

Any type of help would be wonderful! After seeing these mirage converted evos, I wish I would never have bought the RalliArt and instead would have spent some money to invest in a conversion. I can still pull it off, but my budget is much tigher now. Plus having a 2012 RalliArt and a older Evo together in the same garage would be AWESOME!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:43 PM

In my opinion it's not worth the time, effort and money. Why don't you just sell your ralliart and buy an evo 8 or 9?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DhillonRA
Option 1
Option 2

Option 3

Option 1 would be your best bet but to have them dissemble the entire car and shipping cost, it'll still cost you well over $10k. You would have better luck shipping the entire car here and label it as a parts car and even then, once you see it, you wouldn't even want to start cutting up the car.

It's a very expensive project and you HAVE to be dedicated to it. Just like what the others have said too, it's better to buy an actual Evo 8 or 9 here.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:46 PM

I would sell my RA for an EVO 8 or 9, but considering I just got the RA 2 months ago new and I'd have to refinance that **** which would damage my dads credit score is a bad idea. So could I ship the whole thing here without the engine and drivetrain labeling it as parts, and have it pass through customs perfectly fine? Yeah it heard it takes a lot of time and dedication as I've seen people have been doing their projects for 3 years or so, but I would do literally anything for this car. I've seen EVOs in Japan and a cousin that lives in the UK told me that old EVOs go for US 4k-7k which makes me really jealous. Damn US regulations and all that crap that is needed to be safe. Old cars from the 30's-70's didn't have seatbelts, airbags, and half of the safety stuff needed. How are they drivable and JDM cars aren't?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-L...9855d3&vxp=mtr