Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wrong route?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012 | 09:19 PM
OC
Evolving Member

Wrong route?

I have a question for you guys. Let me know your opinion. I have a black Evo 9. Slightly modded. Performance mods include intake tbe and a flash from Cobb ap. I have tein s tech spring on oem struts, APR canards, black 17x9.5 +20 wheels, kenwood kdc x493 deck, kenwood KFC x1730 components front and kenwood KFC x173, powered by a kenwood XR4S, two Kicker L7s powered by a Alpine PDX 1000.1. All powered by a Stinger SPP1200 Battery. My question is am I heading into the wrong route with an Evo? Do you guys add more " looks " than performance parts to your Evo? Or do you guys try to even it out? Also I want a more aggressive look. This is my dd car. Which coilovers do you guys recommend?
Old Dec 27, 2012 | 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

I recommend reading the stickies on top of the forum. Gl
Old Dec 27, 2012 | 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Don't let others influence the way you "MOD" your evo. Do what makes you happy.

For me I like to go fast.
Old Dec 27, 2012 | 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

All GO, No show! with the exception of some nice wheels and swaping out some tail/head lights for some jdm mr's
Old Dec 27, 2012 | 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

I'm all go, with a little show.

I had a nice Integra Type R back in the day. Pretty clean, but it was mostly for sound. Then I got my *** handed to me by an Evo.

Needless to say, rest is history.

But cars are an extension of the owners taste. Do what you like. Just don't believe that mods will increase the value of your car when you want to sell it.
Old Dec 27, 2012 | 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Who cares what others do.
Its your car man you can mod it how you want to.

remember its your $$$
counts for friends opinions 2
Old Dec 27, 2012 | 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Its your car, do what makes you happy. I haven't read too many posts that include stereo components in the mod list. lol Pretty don't make it fast. I have never put a part or done a modification to my car based on looks. Heck I want a set of RPF1's and I hate the way they look, but they sure are light!
Old Dec 27, 2012 | 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

For DD Evo, i have heard bilstein pss9's are some of the best.
Old Dec 27, 2012 | 10:41 PM

Definantly agree with most of these guys on "its your car, do what you want". You own a Evo, I'd say were already a differant type car owner. I like a little bit of everything for comfort since mine is a DD as well. But enjoy your other advantages as well, considering we have a great platform to work on performance wise.
Old Dec 28, 2012 | 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

It's your car, do what you want to it... aslong as that's not herrafrush.

All that said, Tein S Techs make it low and cool looking, but ride like crap(my car came with the originally). Since it's your DD if you went with a different setup it would make the ride a lot more comfortable.
Old Dec 28, 2012 | 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Will have to agree with all the others, "MOD" your evo any way you want its your car, mine is go fast with some show but its all on what you like , good luck
Old Dec 28, 2012 | 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

IMO cars are to be driven, not a mobile entertainment center.
So I'm not into extravagant sound systems and video screens.
I also think the EVO is a beautiful car as is, and even better with some tasteful touches, ie lip, wheels, ride height heads/tails etc...
There's a such thing as too low and too stretched.
Here's what I would do, if in your shoes.
Check out the show and shine section. See what exterior mods look like, and what is up your alley.
Check.the dyno section to see how different engine mods work or don't work. See what it takes to get you where you'd like to be.
Basically use the forum, read what others have tried.
True, its your car, mod how you see fit, but in some aspect you do represent us all in some degree.
Old Dec 28, 2012 | 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

I'm going to dare to be different and disagree with basically everyone above me. Yes, it is your car and its all about what makes you happy... but you also need to think about modifying a car in a way that suits its natural tendencies. The Evo is designed for one thing. Going fast. It isn't designed for luxury or comfort.

Throwing on a bunch of heavy audio equipment is working in the opposite direction from what the car is good at. I'm obviously biased because my car is on the far opposite end of the spectrum (roll cage, gutted metal interior), but once you get a chance to push the car a bit you want every bit of extra weight out. Do one track day and you won't be able to get those speakers out fast enough.