Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help ID'ing something

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2013 | 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Help ID'ing something

Looking to buy an 06 Evo and noticed this in the trunk. Can someone tell what this is?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Help ID'ing something-what-.jpg  
Old Jan 1, 2013 | 11:54 AM

It is a Water-Methanol Injection kit.
Old Jan 1, 2013 | 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO KiiD
It is a Water-Methanol Injection kit.
Ahh ok. So I'm assuming this wouldn't be consider "lightly" modified?
Old Jan 1, 2013 | 12:00 PM

meth injection setup
Old Jan 1, 2013 | 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by EvoIXPilot
Lightly modified may be diff to other people so its kinda to each their own, but I wouldn't consider it to be lightly modded with a meth kit installed, IMO.
Old Jan 1, 2013 | 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

probably not, no. post a pic of the engine bay if you have one
Old Jan 1, 2013 | 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys. Thanks for all the quick responses. Here's a shot of the engine bay. I'm not to mod technical, just the basic stuff...air filter, exhaust, etc. Looking for a modded vehicle that I can handle, but just from the meth kit, I might be way over my head.

Anything else you guys can id much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Help ID'ing something-engine-bay.jpg  
Old Jan 1, 2013 | 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

It doesn't look too bad. Some people put meth injection on cars where 93 octane or e85 isnt available. looking from the pics, the mods dont look too bad. Are you buying the car from a dealer?
Old Jan 1, 2013 | 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like you already have your idea of "lightly modded" done. I'd be willing to bet it has an aftermarket intercooler too. Any shots of the front?

If the seller is unfamiliar with the meth set up I would steer clear. Considering it is ran dry, you better hope it hasn't been ran and beat like that.
Old Jan 1, 2013 | 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by doober
Looks like you already have your idea of "lightly modded" done. I'd be willing to bet it has an aftermarket intercooler too. Any shots of the front?

If the seller is unfamiliar with the meth set up I would steer clear. Considering it is ran dry, you better hope it hasn't been ran and beat like that.
Yes, its from a dealer who didn't mention about the meth inj so I'm I guess he didn't have a clue. Not too familiar with it, but will search. However, from your comment, once installed, it is always use, not like a button or something to set it off? Basically, if its been driven empty, then, the engine is pretty jacked up?

Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2013 | 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, its from a dealer who didn't mention about the meth inj so I'm I guess he didn't have a clue. Not too familiar with it, but will search. However, from your comment, once installed, it is always use, not like a button or something to set it off? Basically, if its been driven empty, then, the engine is pretty jacked up?

Thanks!
Correct, I believe most all are a progressive flow system. Think of it this way, it has either been tuned to run with the methanol or it is running two different maps where one is just standard pump so you could still be safe. Either way I would poke some questions to the dealer and see if they have any clue because in my eyes that's pretty crucial.
Old Jan 1, 2013 | 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

dealers tend to drive cars before they get sold. if it's empty and the car doesn't have something like an accessport for switching between maps, i'd steer clear

i'd only consider buying a meth injected car from the owner who installed it
Old Jan 2, 2013 | 08:41 AM

Do a pre purchase inspection. thats what i would do to make sure. Ive seen used cars from dealer that have been modified. and sometimes those things are disconected. and just left in it. The car was prolly a repo and bought at auction.
Old Jan 2, 2013 | 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Just inspect it very carefully. I had a compression test run on mine because the dealer put pump gas in it on the e85 tune and tried to drive it. Everything checked out and with a full tank of E it ran like a champ.
Old Jan 2, 2013 | 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Just judging by the cleanliness of the meth pump and the engine bay I'd steer away unless they're giving you one hell of a deal and some sort of warranty.

Quick Reply: Help ID'ing something