Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Engine turn-over and clicking sound when wheel turned issues!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine turn-over and clicking sound when wheel turned issues!!

I have a couple issues I havent been able to find the answer to and was hoping someone could help.

1. Whenever I turn my steering wheel to the right I get a weird clicking sound. It sort of sounds like springs but im not sure. I had it checked out and its not the CV joint/boot like a couple other people reported having problems with. The guy said he thinks it may be one of the braided brake lines that is getting pinched or caught from the drivers side...any thoughts???

2. About 80% of the time, its taking a while for the engine to turnover. I got the starter looked at and it was good. Battery power was marginal but in no need of replacement. Any other ideas as to what it could be?

Thanks

2003 Evo 8
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:58 PM

Anyone have insight on either of these two issues?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is your evo stock? If not, what mods do you have? Is it tuned? Did these problems start at the same time, have you done any work to the car and then these symptoms started? How long does it crank over before starting? How many miles on your evo? Do you hear this clicking sound while driving or just when you are idling and turning your wheel to the right? You battery might be OK but understand in the colder climates, your cca (cold cranking amps) could be cut in half on a normal battery and even more on a weaker battery, that could be your problem....just something to consider.

The ticking noise might require you to stick your head under the car while a buddy turns the wheel for you as you try and pinpoint the clicking sound your are referring to.

We need a little more info to better help you diagnose your issues.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Its an '03 Evo stock except for exhaust with 85k. I dont remember what brand the previous owner put on. The clicking I hear only occurs when i turn the wheel to the right. Thanks for the info on the battery.

Im doing an oil change tomorrow. Ill get a better look at whats going on.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you are moving and turning the wheel to the right and hear the clicking...then it could be your cv joint making that noise...see if the boot is torn or missing or leaking grease.