Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weird startup issue happens at random

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Weird startup issue happens at random

I just picked up a 2005 Evo VIII with 37k on the clock. The previous owner made me aware of a weird starter issue that he thought was tied to the clutch switch by the pedals.

I unplugged the switch that requires you to push in the clutch in order to start the car and thought that fixed the issue but it didn't.

This is what it does. I would say 65% of the time it starts up perfectly fine no issues first try. Other times I go to turn the key to start the car and all I get is a click. The interior lights dim while I have the key turned to the on position until I let go. I'll keep turning the key sometimes 10 times and nothing sometimes 5 and it starts. Never consistant always a random amount of key turns. It could be 20 and still never start. Some times I can just keep turning the key and it will keep clicking and eventually start.

Keep in mind the car never cranks it just clicks. What I've noticed that starts the car up every time is if I'm on a hill take the parking brake off put it in first push in the clutch and let it roll down the hill for like 5 feet I let the clutch out and turn the key and it starts. Kinda like bump starting maybe?

Not sure exactly could be causing the issue. Sound like maybe a loose connection some where?

Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
There is a thread on here where the problem lies by the ignition switch. I had the same issue on my car and now I just turn my key as softly as I can and she starts up first try.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
can also be caused by a loose wire at the starter. I had this issue and it was easily fixed. The starter has a clamp just like the coolant temp sensor does where its a push on clamp plug type deal. it might be loose or in general broken from previous owner and its sitting on there freely and not snug anymore causing only partial power to reach the starter motor and not delivering enough juice to break the flywheel free to turn over the engine.