Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tightening the turning circumference?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2004, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tightening the turning circumference?

My car makes a three-lane U-Turn. I really don't know much about the mechanics involved, so is there any way to tighten that without screwing up something else? Since it is also my commute vehicle, it does get annoying when trying to navigate city streets. Any info or suggestions would be great. Or, am I totally daft for even wanting to change it? Thanks!

Patty
Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:01 PM

I dont know **** about handling.....at all...

Sway bars maybe?
Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

did you change sway bars or did anything with your suspension? i had the same problems and it was due to my steering rack being 30 degrees off...
Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heh, my poormans lancer can easily take 3 lane u-turns...however i wish it was smaller still...

blonde, love the avatar, that is a kik *** movie
Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

You can't really tighten the radius mechanically unless you changed way more than it would be worth. The steering rack, the angle of the rack to the suspension, etc. ad nauseum is all tied into the turning radius. All of that is what makes the Evo's steering so direct.

For a solution, I usually give it a little swing to the right as I pull into the intersection and then swing hard left with power. I've U-turned on some pretty tight streets that way. Hope that helps.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:20 PM
DGS
Evolving Member

The EVO's turning circle, according to Rodent Track, is 38.7 ft. That's not all that great, but it's on the high side of par for an AWD. (The cars on my "short list" ran about 35-38 ft).

My Alfa has a fairly tight turn circle, but there are no front drive shafts complicating matters. One of the smallest turning circles (relatively) of cars I've driven were the old 60's Pontiacs. But they had lousy steering response.

The EVO's steering ratio is 13:0:1 with 2.1 turns lock-to-lock, which is very responsive, compared to other AWDs. The steering response is one of the points that put the EVO at the top of my "short list".

But if you need to turn tighter, just tug on the hand brake. (Practice in an empty snow covered parking lot first, of course.)
(Not really recommended for tight city streets.)

Last edited by DGS; Feb 10, 2004 at 06:23 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 09:19 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the tires are so wide, that they can't turn enough in the wheel wells to make a small turning circle. When you turn the wheel really sharp, it induces a lot of caster (I think that's the term), which causes the wheel to tilt. With as big of tires on there and how stiff the suspension is, I don't think it's possible to really increase that without some major changes.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

I think it might have to do with litigation. Just a guess. Steering ratio is quick. Get someone who doesnt know it or anything else about cars, and at medium or low speeds, cranks their wheel over like a normal car and they go into a curb, mailbox, other car, etc. They'll blame it on Mits. Remember Audi and 'unintended acceleration', Geo Metro (or was it suzuki) rollovers, and Ford/Firestone? Mftrs love to cover their asses these days (and who could blame them?). Just a possibility.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 09:38 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DGS
But if you need to turn tighter, just tug on the hand brake. (Practice in an empty snow covered parking lot first, of course.)
(Not really recommended for tight city streets.)
Worst advice ever.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking get a Mercedes Benz

All the FWD and AWD cars I've driven have horribly large turning radii. The best way to correct that problem is with a 190 series Mercedes Benz Those suckers can turn on a dime! I swear, I had 2 of those and they turned tighter than the Miatas I had
Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

In my experience, every awd car I've driven has a pretty bad turning radius, the rest of the cars I've owned have been fwd and have had much better turning radi, I think it's just the nature of the beast in awd vehicles, not much you can do to change it.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

I really don't think there is anything you can do to tighten the turning radius.

If a tight turning radius is what you need, go buy an old Mini. I can do a complete 3 point turn in 2 parking spaces with mine!

SC~
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:19 PM

Volvo 960. Awesome turning radius.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:39 PM

just turn your wheel all the way to the left and get out of the car, check the left front tire and the wheel well... you can barely stick your hand in there. There is less than an inch of clearance between the inside of the tire and the wheel well

i dont think there is much you can do....
get smaller tires? (kinda stupid)
cut the wheel well to make more room? (dont know how much you can gain)

fat tires + small body = small turn radius... simiple as that
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

I guess you could hinge the car. It seems to work well for city busses! :P

Quick Reply: Tightening the turning circumference?