Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Iv windshield replacement USDM

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Iv windshield replacement USDM

Hey guys I was driving my evo iv the other day and a large rock chipped and cracked my windshield it's about 2ft long, so I am definitely going to need a new one however no one can find one for me despite trying a 96 mirage? Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited by Brad676; Jan 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Have you tried contacting Safelite Autoglass in your area? They are pretty good.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

opps. Didn't see your from Canada. Don't know if they have a store there. But the nearest one would be Mt Vernon/Burlington Washington.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:25 PM

Thanks, I never thought about going to states, would be easier up here though
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:50 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Hello Brad,

I have a used EVO 4 Windshield In stock, Please call us at 1 800 921-4536. We are in Victoria.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:21 PM

I'm confused, did you try fitting a mirage windshield. That's what I was gonna do for my IV
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The Evo 4 is the US spec 1997 Mirage. Should be no problem to get the windscreen here.

The 1996 is the previous gen in North America. So try going to the 1997-2001 Mirage Sedan. LS or DS, won't matter.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:22 PM

Yeah, the 96 Mirage does not fit, have found a source for a new one from a IV so i wont have to worry, but for others perhaps a 97 will fit better, because 96 doesnt.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Good.

But yes. The 97-01 USDM Mirage will fit. Thats the same gen as the Evo 4/5/6/6.5 in the US.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does anyone have a US Mitsu part number handy for that 97-01 Mirage glass?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:35 PM

DONT GO TO SAFELITE! As ive worked in 2 different glass shops weve done numerous repairs and leak tests on windshields that have been previously done by safelite. And they are never pretty. Safelite drivers are given X amount of windshields to do a day and are told they can go home after they are done....now in the winter its worse cuz they dont wanna stay out in the cold but even when its warm, the installer wants to get done and get home ASAP. Yes there are occasional people who take their time at safelite but those people probably dont last because they arent working fast enough....A lot of us evo owners like taking care of vehicles and arent like this but there are the people out there who just dont care and its only a paycheck for them. When doing any work on a vehicle i treat it as it is my own and thats how i would want my vehicle treated if someone else were to ever work on it....so think twice before calling safelite or any of those bigger glass companys, and for those of you who live in a colder climate....please dont be lazy and have them come to your house or place of business, the quality of work is never the same as bringing it to a warm shop inside and letting them take their time and do a good job.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meka
does anyone have a US Mitsu part number handy for that 97-01 Mirage glass?
I doubt it because there was nothing special about it, so most people just get them from safelite, or whatever your local glass repair brodude is.

You guys having difficulty sourcing the glass up there?

Originally Posted by evo9_860
DONT GO TO SAFELITE! As ive worked in 2 different glass shops weve done numerous repairs and leak tests on windshields that have been previously done by safelite. And they are never pretty. Safelite drivers are given X amount of windshields to do a day and are told they can go home after they are done....now in the winter its worse cuz they dont wanna stay out in the cold but even when its warm, the installer wants to get done and get home ASAP. Yes there are occasional people who take their time at safelite but those people probably dont last because they arent working fast enough....A lot of us evo owners like taking care of vehicles and arent like this but there are the people out there who just dont care and its only a paycheck for them. When doing any work on a vehicle i treat it as it is my own and thats how i would want my vehicle treated if someone else were to ever work on it....so think twice before calling safelite or any of those bigger glass companys, and for those of you who live in a colder climate....please dont be lazy and have them come to your house or place of business, the quality of work is never the same as bringing it to a warm shop inside and letting them take their time and do a good job.
I'm going to have to agree, AND disagree with you here.

1. ANY company like this is going to have good and bad employees, that are better or worse. That shouldn't mean that you shouldn't go to them as a company entirely, because the company hasn't really wronged you so much as the lackey they sent out has.

2. When I had my windscreen done, I just hung out with the fellow and talked glass. If they see you're not there to babysit them, but more interested in their work, they're more inclined to do a worthwhile job.

3. If you have work done, and the glass leaks... you should find out pretty quick. You certainly shouldn't have your glass changed and then the first time it rains just completely EXPECT that everything is ok? And if you do notice a leak, I'm positive that the company would be coming right back out to do another replacement.