Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

rack spines?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rack spines?

hey guys, dropped the sub-frame down today in the front of the evo (8)

going to sand blast a few parts so right now i have the rack bungie cord and wire tied up to support it but the steering column shaft has dropped out of the ( sleve ) for the better word to call it and i noticed its splined, am i going to have to line up the steering wheel and pray i put the splines in right?

im not worried if i have to remove the steering wheel and line it back up again, im worried that the chalk to chalk will be different ( max turn on the rack )

anyone with any experience on this subject
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

No biggie, just undo the upper portion of the joint thats located under the dash/behind the pedals, point your wheels straight, then center your steering wheel and slide it back in. It may take a couple of tries to line it back in the right spline, but it's not hard. If you dropped the subframe then you should do an alignment on the car anyways BTW
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RjRacing05
No biggie, just undo the upper portion of the joint thats located under the dash/behind the pedals, point your wheels straight, then center your steering wheel and slide it back in. It may take a couple of tries to line it back in the right spline, but it's not hard. If you dropped the subframe then you should do an alignment on the car anyways BTW

oh ya the car will be aligned for sure

so thats somethings that is reachable from inside? like reachable as in a little bit of a weird angle and a sore neck or are we talking remove front seat and lay on back with led light?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How did you drop the subtame without undoing the bolt in the steering collumn?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hitmachine,

I did it the same way as you did the first time. Got it back together the same way... did it alone and was totally frustrated getting it all aligned. Then I saw the right way, and smacked myself in the head for hours in the time/effort I spent wasted.

What he did, was to just undo the 8mm bolt that holds the steering column U-joint split collar to the rack. Then as he dropped the rack, wiggled it so the rack came out of the collar.... Right?

What I (and apparently he) didn't see. Is that the U joint is not HARD connected to the steering column. On the bottom side is a splined split joint with a 8mm bolt. On the top of the U joint is a constant tension clamp (like a factory hose clamp) on a slip joint.

So.. before you put the rack back in. Squeeze the clamp with a pair of pliars, and slide the U-joint up into the column. Then mount the rack/subframe. Straighten the wheels (measure from the rack to center). Then center the steering wheel, squeeze the clamp, slide the U-joint down onto the rack splines. make sure the lock to lock is centered. Then replace the 8mm bolt on the lower half of the U joint.

Ta-da....
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
How did you drop the subtame without undoing the bolt in the steering collumn?

the t-case was out of the car before, rebuilt by shep by the PO, i ve already noticed one bolt for the engine mount in the rear was missing which was concerning

so im guessing the bolt your talking about was not their either because that spline just dropped right out of the sleave going into the firewall

im seeing from the other guy below that its an 8mm bolt? that should be securing that shaft to the steering wheel more of less
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hatesposers
Hitmachine,

I did it the same way as you did the first time. Got it back together the same way... did it alone and was totally frustrated getting it all aligned. Then I saw the right way, and smacked myself in the head for hours in the time/effort I spent wasted.

What he did, was to just undo the 8mm bolt that holds the steering column U-joint split collar to the rack. Then as he dropped the rack, wiggled it so the rack came out of the collar.... Right?

What I (and apparently he) didn't see. Is that the U joint is not HARD connected to the steering column. On the bottom side is a splined split joint with a 8mm bolt. On the top of the U joint is a constant tension clamp (like a factory hose clamp) on a slip joint.

So.. before you put the rack back in. Squeeze the clamp with a pair of pliars, and slide the U-joint up into the column. Then mount the rack/subframe. Straighten the wheels (measure from the rack to center). Then center the steering wheel, squeeze the clamp, slide the U-joint down onto the rack splines. make sure the lock to lock is centered. Then replace the 8mm bolt on the lower half of the U joint.

Ta-da....
thanks for the info, ill have to read this a few times as im putting everything back together and look up a few diagrams