Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Pros and Cons? Thinking about Trading EVO VIII for EVO X MR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6500 miles...!?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:22 PM

I would hate to lose the 5 speed and go to paddle shifters :/
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought a X MR. It is a nice looking car. But, after driving it one time...I gave the keys to my daughter so that she can drive it to school and go to Burger King with her girlfriends.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I picked up a 2013 MR this passed October and have been in love since .My 700whp 8 is collecting dust in the garage and have no urge of using it as of yet or any time soon because the MR X has been filling my needs. Being that I work in NYC the MR is a dream for me. Once you grow out of the boy Racer faze you learn to appricate what ultimately works for you. Anything over 400 on the streets is unnecessary, furthermore after you achieve your goals on the older models IMO. 8 for track/Show & X MR DD works for me. I Love other cars and respect them, but EVO is my life style.

So if you still have any goals with your 8 then have some fun with it then move on to the SST transmission platform. An MR with 330/340 is a fun car to own, but like every other machine take good care of it so it will last you. Also you might want to consider other cars out their that you might also like before you jump in to another Evo just a thought.

Last edited by Ricekiller81; Jan 16, 2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ricekiller81
I picked up a 2013 MR this passed October and have been in love since .My 700whp 8 is collecting dust in the garage and have no urge of using it as of yet or any time soon because the MR X has been filling my needs. Being that I work in NYC the MR is a dream for me. Once you grow out of the boy Racer faze you learn to appricate what ultimately works for you. Anything over 400 on the streets is unnecessary, furthermore after you achieve your goals on the older models IMO. 8 for track/Show & X MR DD works for me. I Love other cars and respect them, but EVO is my life style.

So if you still have any goals with your 8 then have some fun with it then move on to the SST transmission platform. An MR with 330/340 is a fun car to own, but like every other machine take good care of it so it will last you. Also you might want to consider other cars out their that you might also like before you jump in to another Evo just a thought.
You have an 8 of that calibur and you prefer to drive your x over it?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No pros, only cons. Keep the VIII, you`ll be much happier especially if you are a driver, not just a motorist.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would keep the Evo VIII.

Fact is i like Manuel over automatic.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ricekiller81

I totally agree with this post. I bought a considerably modified Evo 8 ssl and ripped every single aftermarket part off of it. Every told me I was crazy. Now those same people compliment on how smooth and quiet and drivable it is. An X MR is my next move. Once you reach that stage in life where you realize you don't need 700 whp (and all the headaches that come with it) you can appreciate a car like the X MR. The question here is. Are you at that stage in life? As for values.. Your cars low mileage is a plus but its not going to increase your value significantly in regards to book value. Maybe 15-20 years from now if it still had 6500 miles that would play a bigger role. I think it's a reasonable offer and I would do it myself. How well do you know the other owner and the other car? How bad does he/she want it. Was it your idea to trade or theirs?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

I just dont see the point. Evos are meant to be raw beasts. If you want a nice, comfortable DD why even bother with an X. Buy a BMW or something. The X is like a half-assed attempt at a family/sports car. Grab an e46 m3. Luxurious/comfortable/fast/way better looking.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by slimjim1804
6500 miles...!?
Sorry actually 8,300. Confused it with my other car.

Originally Posted by jameelrose
I totally agree with this post. I bought a considerably modified Evo 8 ssl and ripped every single aftermarket part off of it. Every told me I was crazy. Now those same people compliment on how smooth and quiet and drivable it is. An X MR is my next move. Once you reach that stage in life where you realize you don't need 700 whp (and all the headaches that come with it) you can appreciate a car like the X MR. The question here is. Are you at that stage in life? As for values.. Your cars low mileage is a plus but its not going to increase your value significantly in regards to book value. Maybe 15-20 years from now if it still had 6500 miles that would play a bigger role. I think it's a reasonable offer and I would do it myself. How well do you know the other owner and the other car? How bad does he/she want it. Was it your idea to trade or theirs?

Mine was never near the 700 mark it is at 400 whp on a conservative tune so goin to the MR won't be to big a diffrence with a few bolt ons and a tune.

I don't have a trade set up yet. I was just wondering if that would be a good trade as i want an X and have the VIII to trade.

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
I just dont see the point. Evos are meant to be raw beasts. If you want a nice, comfortable DD why even bother with an X. Buy a BMW or something. The X is like a half-assed attempt at a family/sports car. Grab an e46 m3. Luxurious/comfortable/fast/way better looking.
I would love to pick up an e46 M3 but for the money I'd rather have a newer EVO. Plus i like the aggresive look of X over the M3. Just wish the interior was a bit nicer.

Last edited by eastcoastoutlaw; Jan 17, 2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

How much are X MR's going for?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

I love my Viii but if I wanted a nearly stock daily driver I'd definitely go to a X MR. I love the SST trans, it's incredible especially if you're city driving. I wouldn't plan on making huge power, just an intake, exhaust, AMS IC/pipes and tune I personally wouldn't go any further modifying one.

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; Jan 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
How much are X MR's going for?
Depends on the year, I see '08s-10s selling for 22-25k and newer ones a bit more. I've been stalking their selling values for a bit now, I want one as a dd asap.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Do it, you'll love the X. I couldn't be happier having sold my IX and buying a X.

I put 43k miles on my IX during 2.5 years of ownership; so far I've owned my X for just over 2.5 years and already have 51k miles on it.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Do it, you'll love the X. I couldn't be happier having sold my IX and buying a X.

I put 43k miles on my IX during 2.5 years of ownership; so far I've owned my X for just over 2.5 years and already have 51k miles on it.
You've also went beyond the norm with modifying yours, just to clarily you have a GSR am I right?

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons? Thinking about Trading EVO VIII for EVO X MR