Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Criticize my new mods please!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Criticize my new mods please!

Car as it stands now:

315WHP dyno tune from Sean @ FFTEC
Evo 9 turbo
RC 1000cc fuel injectors
Walbro fuel pump
HKS 272 cams
ETS LICP
Magnaflow 3" Turbo back test pipe
Perrin open cell foam filter
GM 3-port BCS
IX diverter valve
Ported intake manifold, exhaust manifold, & turbo hotside.
Moroso Air/Oil separator

So that's everything on the car now, and it's been running pretty great, with no issues that I know of. This is what I've already got and am about to install just before a retune:

Kinugawa 25G /w Billet compressor wheel
Slowboy 3" full width intercooler
MAP o2 housing

That's what's going on pretty soon here, so aside from what I've listed above everything else is stock; block, head, valve-train, etc. The car is now at 120K with the 05 engine being at about 100K miles. My main questions are:

How's this build looking as a solid daily driver?
Any essentials or must-haves you'd recommend with the coming changes?
Are the NGK BPR8ES @ 0.24 gap plugs I've been using still the best choice?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I would've gone with an ETS or Buschur (for example) intercooler rather than SB.

Don't forget to get re-tuned when you swap the turbo.

You could throw in an aftermarket MAP sensor if you don't have one to complement the 3-port BCS and use PSI-based boost control.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Kinugawa turbo? Is that an eBay item?

Never mind. Looked it up.

Mods delete.

Last edited by ReidFletcher; Jan 16, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know enough about that turbo, but I have seen some unimpressive dyno graphs and false info on that 25g here at evom. I'm a huge fan of the stock turbos on 2L blocks, great response and power for any daily driver. I would sell the kinugawa turbo and put that money towards some rods, pistons, and bearings. Then later upgrade your evo 9 turbo to an fp red

You can squeeze another 50-70+whp out of your current turbo setup with some minor mods...
-E85
-3.5" ETS or AMS FMIC (or other brands of similar size)
-C.O.P. setup
-4 bar map sensor
-ported TB & IM
-arp head studs
-a real intake
-valve springs
-that 02 housing you have
... And of course a a tune
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:33 PM

How many PSI was the car tuned on?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:09 PM

i say nice built minus that turbo...if you got e85 around you i would definitely go with that as well...my 8 turbo made 380whp on a dynojet your 9 would break 400 and be very drivable..just my input
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Junk the Kinugawa 25G, the Slowboy FMIC, and the HKS 272's for a ETS front mount, a FP stock replacement turbo, and a pair of Kelford's or GSC's and you'll be golden. The spark plug gap will depend on how much boost your running. I'm at 0.21 at 31 psi.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:49 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vaflyboi757
Junk the Kinugawa 25G, the Slowboy FMIC, and the HKS 272's for a ETS front mount, a FP stock replacement turbo, and a pair of Kelford's or GSC's and you'll be golden. The spark plug gap will depend on how much boost your running. I'm at 0.21 at 31 psi.
Agreed. Someone also mentions COP, which I don't think is necessary at this power level.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fishie36
Car as it stands now:

315WHP dyno tune from Sean @ FFTEC
Evo 9 turbo
RC 1000cc fuel injectors
Walbro fuel pump
HKS 272 cams
ETS LICP
Magnaflow 3" Turbo back test pipe
Perrin open cell foam filter
GM 3-port BCS
IX diverter valve
Ported intake manifold, exhaust manifold, & turbo hotside.
Moroso Air/Oil separator

So that's everything on the car now, and it's been running pretty great, with no issues that I know of. This is what I've already got and am about to install just before a retune:

Kinugawa 25G /w Billet compressor wheel
Slowboy 3" full width intercooler
MAP o2 housing

That's what's going on pretty soon here, so aside from what I've listed above everything else is stock; block, head, valve-train, etc. The car is now at 120K with the 05 engine being at about 100K miles. My main questions are:

How's this build looking as a solid daily driver?
Any essentials or must-haves you'd recommend with the coming changes?
Are the NGK BPR8ES @ 0.24 gap plugs I've been using still the best choice?
We typically use the BPR8EIX. Basically the iridium version of the plugs you're using. Otherwise, congrats on the new power. You shouldn't have any issues while daily driving the car as long as you keep up on the basic maintenance.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:27 PM

Thanks for all your input guys. I knew there would be people telling me to get rid of the turbo, because it hasn't made a big name around here, but I've done the research and I'm keeping that for now. If it turns out to be terrible, so be it, I'm keeping my 9 turbo on hand too.

It looks like the additional things I could do are switch to MAP boost control and possibly do the DIY COP setup. Does anyone have a good idea of what power level the COP setup really comes into play?

I think the first thing I'll do before tuning is switch to a set of the BPR8EIX plugs. My main goal is to keep this car DD'able while breaking over 400WHP. Sadly E85 isn't available in my area which is why I've gone with the bigger turbo so soon.

Lastly, I've got an extra head left over that I could build outside of the car, as it's just been sitting around. Does anyone know of a good machine shop that can do an integrity check and possibly valve work if needed? Preferably located around the north bay CA area, but also willing to take it east bay if needed.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:19 AM
Evolving Member

A COP setup isn't really needed till around 600awhp~. I think the money could be spent elsewhere honestly.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fishie36
Thanks for all your input guys. I knew there would be people telling me to get rid of the turbo, because it hasn't made a big name around here, but I've done the research and I'm keeping that for now. If it turns out to be terrible, so be it, I'm keeping my 9 turbo on hand too.

It looks like the additional things I could do are switch to MAP boost control and possibly do the DIY COP setup. Does anyone have a good idea of what power level the COP setup really comes into play?

I think the first thing I'll do before tuning is switch to a set of the BPR8EIX plugs. My main goal is to keep this car DD'able while breaking over 400WHP. Sadly E85 isn't available in my area which is why I've gone with the bigger turbo so soon.

Lastly, I've got an extra head left over that I could build outside of the car, as it's just been sitting around. Does anyone know of a good machine shop that can do an integrity check and possibly valve work if needed? Preferably located around the north bay CA area, but also willing to take it east bay if needed.
Stick to your stock coils.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

+1 stick with your stock coils. I ran a set of stock coils up to 8500 rpm with 40 lbs of boost.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I would also agree with changing your cams and get some gsc's in there for a little more power and don't forget the dual valve springs and retainers.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Nice mods (numbers look kind of low for those mods imo unless you installed some after a tune)

As for keeping it a daily driver I wouldn't go up to much further. For a dd you dont need to much and you dont have to bang on your engine as hard just my opinion though there are guys that dd 4-500 range I'm pretty sure

Quick Reply: Criticize my new mods please!