Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

steering response doesn't feel as tight as before the accident.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering response doesn't feel as tight as before the accident.

backend got hit a while back and hasn't been the same since. Quite honestly the car drives like utter crap. it's loose to the point where if I'm at a stop the steering wheel will circle to the right at the one o' clock position. It's really driving me up the wall, not to mention I've gone through a handful of alignments and my steering wheel stills sits **** eyed to the right a bit. I'm thinking of swapping out the driver's side-rear steering hub and see if that's the cause of it. Any help is much appreciated.

front Left and right

camber -1.5 -1.6

caster 3.6 4.0

toe 0.05 0.05

SAI 13.9 13.5

included angle 12.4 12.0

Rear left and right

camber -0.9 -1.1

toe 0.17 0.09

thrust angle 0.04

Last edited by evo_skillz; Jan 22, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The alignment is straight? Post alignment print out?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
that's a lot of rear toe
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

the left rear side got hit a bit.This makes me think the rear spindle might be bent just a tad. sure wish I knew what the hell was going on with my baby.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:42 PM

take it back to whoever fixed it make sure your **** is straight.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hgp11hockey
take it back to whoever fixed it make sure your **** is straight.
that's not even an option, let's just say I've been there one too many times and they still weren't able to make things right. I get the same run around every time such as " we can't find anything wrong with it". It's the same old story with them and I can't stand when body shops make empty promises saying that your car'll be as as good as new when in fact their just blowing smoke up your ***. any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

take it to a different shop? it's blatantly obvious that your rear toe is way out of whack
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone ever had a problem like this? Feel free to chime in. If it helps to mention the driver's side rear wheel pokes out a little further out than the other side. gee, really wish I knew what was going on. I'm just sick and tired of shelling out dough on alignments just to get me nowhere. sighs
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_skillz
Anyone ever had a problem like this? Feel free to chime in. If it helps to mention the driver's side rear wheel pokes out a little further out than the other side. gee, really wish I knew what was going on. I'm just sick and tired of shelling out dough on alignments just to get me nowhere. sighs
ive been there before my car got hit and it was drifting a little i was a nervous wreck. Had a couple of alignments done still drifting, ok wtf? So i go to get a "computerized alignment" The problem was corrected. If you already had a "computerized alignment" which is an alignment performed by lasers on all 4 wheels, then you may have slightly bent a suspension part. My car was tapped at about 5mph and that was enough to fudge the alignment in the rear because the wheel was tapped. Take it step by step I know how you feel everyone thinks your crazy, they say your cars fine but you really know its not, keep trouble shooting it will be fixed.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

you keep saying things like this and it's clear that your car isn't straight. if one wheel sticks out further than the other, something is bent. get the bend fixed and it'll fix the driveability issues
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deadstockkpomp
ive been there before my car got hit and it was drifting a little i was a nervous wreck. Had a couple of alignments done still drifting, ok wtf? So i go to get a "computerized alignment" The problem was corrected. If you already had a "computerized alignment" which is an alignment performed by lasers on all 4 wheels, then you may have slightly bent a suspension part. My car was tapped at about 5mph and that was enough to fudge the alignment in the rear because the wheel was tapped. Take it step by step I know how you feel everyone thinks your crazy, they say your cars fine but you really know its not, keep trouble shooting it will be fixed.

Thanks man, guess i'll start with the steering spindle and work myself around it. Hopefully, I won't have to go as far as swapping out control arms and such.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks man, guess i'll start with the steering spindle and work myself around it. Hopefully, I won't have to go as far as swapping out control arms and such.
Is your car aligning within "the green" according to your alignment guy or are they saying they cannot adjust it any further? It also may help to mention details on the accident like where exactly you were hit and at what speed.

Last edited by deadstockkpomp; Jan 25, 2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deadstockkpomp
Is your car aligning within "the green" according to your alignment guy or are they saying they cannot adjust it any further? It also may help to mention details on the accident like where exactly you were hit and at what speed.
everything's in the green. would it not align if something was bent? god, really wish I could sort this out already. sucks driving with a slightly crooked steering wheel. any insight as how I could go about figuring this out is much appreciated.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo's are extremely hard to align properly, and even if the specs are in the green, the steering wheel WILL be off. I've done more Evo alignments than I can count, and that's why they kept coming to me, because if it is not exact, the steering wheel will be crooked and the car will not drive right.

Find someone who takes some pride in their work, and ask that they jounce the car a couple times AFTER setting the alignment to make sure everything is within spec still. If they jounce the car, and the specs go off, then the alignment is not right.