Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Check engine light on, boost to 15 lbs only, O2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light on, boost to 15 lbs only, O2 sensor?

Hi fellow Evom members,

Want to get your opinions on what is going on with my car?

Back story: When I first bought the Evo 8, had it Xflashed by Vishnu, pretty simple as it is only a quick ecu plug and flash step. The car ran great and no problems. Had the car since 2004 and now with 120k street and track miles, the turbo broke on track.
Replaced the turbo with a bigger Tomei unit and then installed bigger injectors (1000cc) and fuel pump. Got a tune to get everything working right.

The new tune is lower in boost to 20lbs stable, and can feel the boost and power coming up faster, which is good. But then issues start to creep up. The car idles rough and won't come down to 950 rpm after a blip of throttle. Turns out it's the MAF unit, which I bought a new one as the old one's honeycomb were slightly warped?
I then took the car to the track after the new tune and was running fine except the car started losing boost and slow boost up to only 15 lbs? after a few sessions. Safe mode?
The 'Check Engine' light went on (Which I always had because I have no cat)
So not sure what is going on? Will the new tune and bigger turbo make all the weak parts of the car show up due to the miles and age of the car? ie. MAF, O2 sensor front and back? I thought a 'Tune' should address those issues and cancel out the Check Engine light?
Right now it's in the shop to see if the FRONT O2 is bad, or it might be something else.

Suggestions? Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:54 AM

sound like a boost leak
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Latest, the front O2 sensor code went away surprisingly? by itself and the car boosts back to 17 and sometimes 20 lbs. but the boost up/acceleration is still a bit slow?
Still cannot find a leak with the system.