Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: boost and wideband cheap insurance and necessary or a waste of money?
gauges are important
94.07%
gauges are dumb and should be left in airplanes and space shuttles
5.93%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Are gauges essential or ridiculous?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with previous posts. They are not there to stop failures, but to monitor things so you dont have a failure. If my oil pressure gauge for some reason starts to read low numbers, I am gonna take precautions before something bad happens.

My car is tuned to run about 30psi, but thats not to say it wont spike a bit on a cold night with dense air. Although my cel light flashes at me when I get into trouble haha.

Somebody sayin gauges are just there for looks is just a moron. They serve their purpose.

Now, a car with like 8 gauges in it, thats a little "ricey" I would say, but some people or race teams like to monitor EVERYTHING!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wideband and boost gauge are usually one of my first mods. Cheap insurance if you ask me. Nothing wrong with being safe.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:23 PM

^^^^^^^what he said
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adriano_917
Gauges to me are important to keep you informed on whats going on with your engine(investment). Plus cheap insurance.
^Exactly this.
Originally Posted by golgo13
I forget, race teams put gauges in race cars because of the bling factor, right?
I had big lolz
Is a gauge going to save you from a sudden catastrophic part failure? Of course not.
Is it going to let you know when something is starting to go wrong so you can shut down? Yes.

That's the value.
Perfect answer.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Buschurs 9 sec white rs does have a wideband in it. Its in the glove box stealthily hidden. I have considered doing this also so no one knows the difference. Ignorance is bliss. Hope that answers your question.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Technically you could have the gauges just for the tune then take them back out. Idk y you would but then again I don't own a Honda.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:47 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Even street cars have limits.

Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boost and wideband are useful.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On newer cars, like bmws that I have seen, they don't have a engine oil dipstick, they don't have a coolant temp gauge either. Sometimes its too much info for some folks who tend to freak out and come in wasting time with false warranty complaints. I think that's probably one reason some oem eliminate as much info as they can,haha.

I do think gauges are important. I will say, if I had a wideband 02 hooked up I probably could have averted my engine failure that is now costing me thousands of dollars. The problem is when you start having too many gauges its just impossible to keep scanning them when your going 120+ down the track. My nephew is a bright IT guy and is a wiz with computers so Ive been working on setting up some type of farily low cost telemetry where my car data could be read live from the pits. That's a win win, someone else keeps an eye on my info the whole time.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Is a gauge going to save you from a sudden catastrophic part failure? Of course not.
Is it going to let you know when something is starting to go wrong so you can shut down? Yes.

That's the value.
I think this is the perfect answer to the question
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:55 AM

Pretty much what everyone else already said. It won't stop your car from breaking or having something go wrong with it, but it will let you know when something IS going wrong, or about to.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
The less stock you are, the more you need gauges. IMHO.
My opinion exactly.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
My opinion exactly.
I third this 2nd'd opinion

In general I'm not super old here, but I've been driving modified cars for 12 yrs and gauges are indeed helpful in my experience, certain gauges are more helpful on certain cars, also some are redundant.

For instance, if you have completely modified a car and took out all the OEM gauges are warning lights/beepers... then you should replace those most likely. ie. oil pressure gauge

Over the years there are gauges I felt were least important and grown to understand they are more important and vise versa, comes with experience and problems encountered.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

This is kinda like saying you dont NEED a seat belt ...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anybody arguing that gauges are unnecessary is an idiot. Like someone said above... race cars use gauges for a reason. The more heavily modified OR heavily used the more important gauges are. If you have a bone stock motor but you are running WRC stages you will want to have a better indicator of the health of the car than factory oil temp/water temp.

Quick Reply: Are gauges essential or ridiculous?