Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: boost and wideband cheap insurance and necessary or a waste of money?
gauges are important
94.07%
gauges are dumb and should be left in airplanes and space shuttles
5.93%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Are gauges essential or ridiculous?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
My brother-in-law has enduro and sprint E36 M3 race cars that use idiot lights for just about everything. It's a binary system, but it's much easier to register a single light out of a group of say, six than it is to do the brain work on a series of gauges when on track/at speed.

I think data logging and reviewing logs is ideal post session and idiot lights are ideal when you need a simple, 'Hey dude, something's wrong here!' in real time.

EXACTLY...

and for those that do run gauges on race cars, they rotate the gauges so that when in normal operation, the needles all point straight up. So they don't have to process the information from the gauges, they just have to glance at them to know when something is wrong. When I see people do that on their street cars, then I will think they are using them properly and not for "bling bling" factor.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few helpful gauges are nice to have, now when a person has decked out their interior in nothing but gauges it becomes more of a show type of thing. One bad thing is they can be distracting as well.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love people saying gauges are stupid who have never been on a race track in their life. Invest 50-70k in your race car, WOT for even TT durations... yeah, you need gauges. Oil pressure, boost, oil/water temp. I don't think you need a wideband visible for a race car, its too distracting, its more useful for tuning or a street car. A good opportunity to check your gauges is on the longer straights, its a great time to make sure your oil, water, and boost are where they need to be.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:01 AM

one thing Im not sure that has been said yet, when you make certain mods, with gauges already installed, you can instantly see how it effects your fuel pressure, boost, A/F depending on what mod you do.

You can see the instant difference certain mods make when you have certain gauges, i think thats pretty cool instead of having to get on a dyno
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO I feel like gauges are important Because like the other member suggest, it could save your engine and gives you warning or tells you if something is not working correctly.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

When a car is putting out as much power as many of yours are, gauges are definitely important to have.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

I'd never own a modified turbo car without a wideband. I had an SRT4 that had issues leaning out at WOT. Safe to say a $200 gauge saved me an engine build and the downtime that comes along with it. Its a must have in a street driven modified car.

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:05 PM

afr gauges or afr guage with failsafe...boostguage optional...
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock = Not essential
Modified = Essential