Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is this headlight fixable?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this headlight fixable?

Hey guys,

Well a couple weeks ago, we got a HUGE snow, and I have work super early in the mornings, so I was behind the plow truck, when a big chunk of ice flew from underneath it. I unfortunately could not avoid it, and drove over it with my front left tire, which made it fly up and hit the fender liner and bumper SUPER hard. Looking at it afterwards, the plastic tab that holds the bumper and fender liner together broke, stripped the screw hole connecting the bumper to the fender, and now the bumper/fender/headlight lines don't line up right.

I took it to a reputable auto body a few days ago, and got the car last night, given bad news and was unimpressed with the work. I was informed the top tabs on the headlight broke, here are pics:

Do these tabs look like they are gluable/savable? Notice the first picture the tab isn't completely broken off.

Oh and here is the shops "great" glue work of the broken tab holding the fender liner:

Anyone with auto body knowledge give me any thoughts and opinions?

Much appreciated!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the headlights, I'd just get some epoxy made for plastic and epoxy it all the best you can. Maybe some jb weld too? Jb weld fixes everything haha. As long as its not dangling then just reinforce it with the products I mentioned I guess kinda hard for me to really see how it's damaged from the pics.

Sorry to hear about this though. Bad luck man. At least it didn't damage the actual headlight. And if I were you I'd find a new body shop hahaha.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:56 PM

gorilla glue and gorilla duct tape, keeps my car together and no one will notice either! lol
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 93rx7fd
gorilla glue and gorilla duct tape, keeps my car together and no one will notice either! lol
What has evom come to when members are advising using glue and duct tape to fix evos

Get your insurance to cover a NEW headlight. Or at the very least have ANY decent body shop source you a used one (preferably one without duct tape on it).
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Man sorry to hear that happened to you. Your best bet is find a used pair of headlight or go for a new set of headlights.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by nemsin
What has evom come to when members are advising using glue and duct tape to fix evos

Get your insurance to cover a NEW headlight. Or at the very least have ANY decent body shop source you a used one (preferably one without duct tape on it).
temporary fix of course!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You basically weld it back together with a soldering iron and plastic. Sand it down when you're done and you will barely be able to tell it was broken. I do it all the time.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Temp fix - Plastic weld + clamps and time.

Check insurance

If none of that works. Find someone selling a headlight with a busted lense and patch it together. There are plenty of how-to's about opening your headlight and putting it together. It isn't common but every so often someone tries to sell a busted headlight. Check the "Part Out" section for wrecked Evo's

Good luck.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 93rx7fd