Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

so after clutch install... :(

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by powerdriver
You absolutely need the trans fluid in there, no trans fluid in the ACD Reservoir, ACD no work. If ACD no work, it starts to kill itself.
You'll more than likely need to rebuild the tcase. Time to make them pay for a TRE rebuild.
in a way that would be awesome
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Give it to them this way, either they can buy you a brand new ACD T-case for $3,800 or they can have it rebuilt for $900.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:26 AM

They said it could be a clip that broke but wouldn't know until they look at it. But I'm wondering why would it whine like hell if it was just a broken clip?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:06 AM

Now they said a tranny bolt backed its way out and Tammy wasn't fully connected with the clutch which caused the noise.. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by dhathcock
Now they said a tranny bolt backed its way out and Tammy wasn't fully connected with the clutch which caused the noise.. Any thoughts?
One thought.

No, Sounds like they are back peddling to me. One bolt backed itself out?? And now the whole tranny is not connected. Come on now.

Last edited by gsrboi80; Jan 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:43 PM

so the verdict they said was the tranny bolt wasnt all the way in and that the threads were messed up because of last people to mess with it.. so i said but didnt you take out the bolt and put it back in and he said yes. so i said so its your fault. he said no because there must have been some "debris" in the threads previously so when we put it in it bound up and we didnt get a good torque on it.. and he said so when you drove it around it backed its way out which caused the clutch to not enguage with the tranny properly. im like so the bolt backed its way out in 80miles?? ( thats how many miles on it with the clutch they installed) he said yes.. also there is a mud guard that was missing ( its supposed to cover the flywheel) and he said did you or a friend take this off.. im like no why the heck would i do that? he said well we installed it and its gone.. im like well i dont know what to tell you. (mind you that this mud guard is held on by like 6 bolts.. im like i cant believe you would accuse me of taking this off. funny thing is when they popped the hood they found a wrench that they left under the hood. im like first you dont fill my acd then you leave a wrench under my hood ( which could have fallen into a belt and caused huge damage which you would have said was my fault because you didnt know it was from your wrench) i told him doesnt sound like your mechanic has good attention to detail to me.. then he says well your clutch is fried and flywheel and that hes going to cover labor for new one but i will have to pay for clutch and im like no waaaayyyy... im not paying for anything.. i said im not trying to cause a big ruckus here but i guess ill have to get the family lawyer involved.. he toatlly changed his tune with me and said that he'll cover everything.. whos to say the tranny and transfer case didnt take any extra wear because of this.. all kinds of stuff can be messed up now.. any thoughts of what to do?? should i get lawyer involved??
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:55 PM

im like cmon man.. i work on airplanes.. if someone installs something and then i later do some work to it and am the last one to mess with a part and it ends up being f'd up then its my A$$ not his.. take responsiblity and your workmanship.. when you mess up be a man and admit it.. we are all human honest mistakes happen. i know this.. but trying to josh me around and bs me wont fly. in my profession if i do shady maintenance on something planes could crash.. take pride in what you do
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Take it somewhere else. I wouldn't let them touch it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds scary, good luck.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

I would lawyer up to cover your ***. Have them fill out some paper work stating exactly what will be done and have them sign it. Also after they finish the clutch install have them PAY a mitsu tech or a reputable tech (3rd party) to look at the ACD/Tranny and make sure nothing else was damaged.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Seems like he knows hes at fault and its time to do one of two things

1 - Have him fix it but then tell him your going to take it to a second shop after and verify all work. And if they discover any problems they are going to document them, repair them, and bill the first shop accordingly.

2 - Take it to another shop. Send first shop the bill via lawyers letterhead.

Personally -- the second one is easier on you but often can get tied up legally. The first one allows the shop to do all the work and with only a simple pre-work agreement, get you where you should be after.

Insist on a full trans/xcase rebuild.

Did they ever drain the fluids in front of you? Ask the mechanic(with a non partial witness present) how he filled the trans/xcase. I bet even if he "tried" to fill the xcase.. he didnt do it right.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:59 PM

so what they are saying happened is this.. " clutch was alligned incorrect and the transmision drive shaft sheared all the "guts" out of the clutch" they said they are going to be replacing a couple seals for safe measure and order me a new clutch and resurface the flywheel on them" and they are replacing the "mud cover" that i was accused of taking off.. (which is absolutely crazy seeing as how the car went from the side of road to there shop on the tow truck) but as i love my car to death i am really worried that the tranny and transfer case took some abuse from this catastrophic failure. you would think everything would be ok and fine but there is no way to know unless everything is cracked open and looked over. (by a 3rd party) non biased person. i can remember the car shaking so dang bad it seriously felt like it was going to explode.. even the rear diff made a bang noise when shifting it into next gear. just going to a 3rd party is gunna be atleast 500 for pulling tranny and x-case. damn this is going to be a battle it bet. thank for all the advise
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:03 PM

they never drained anything infront of me..
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:03 PM

this isnt good things
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
That's not the proper way to fix your issue, you have to open the tranny and TC and inspect for damage.

Do #2 from that guys post above, take it some where else, get your lawyer involved and have the shop billed for the work. They want to do the 'easy' stuff and make it sound like they are being over precautious by replacing things for 'good measure' when really, they are ignoring the fact that their mistake may have cost you a tranny and TC which is BIG MONEY on them....

Quick Reply: so after clutch install... :(