Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need some First hand/Good information for Evo5 Swap.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:20 PM
R15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some First hand/Good information for Evo5 Swap.

Good afternoon gentlemen!

I know this is my first post, but I hope to not come across as a noob. First off, let me say I have quite a bit of knowledge in the Mitsubishi world. So even though this is my first post, it's not my first rodeo.

Anywho, I was looking for solid information for a Mirage project I am going to start. I ask EVOM because I am not quite familiar with other sites and I have seen a few posts already here involving Evos 1-6, so I know there is some support at least. I have searched far and wide and have seen quite a few projects, but I have not been able go gain elaborate or solid information. Most information is mentioned by people whom do not know the correct answer,and are under assumptions, or mixed, unsolid reviews. So I am coming here to ask for solid answers, no guesses, and proven results. If you are here to criticize me or tell me to search, please do not do so as everyday I search and come in with new/different information, but having it all organized for me and for other interested parties would be a great future benefit.

So let us begin. First off, I know that this is not going to be a weekend project. I expect a somewhat long time frame for all this to be completed, maybe not even this year, but I will finish this project regardless of time. Second, I have bookmarked a few conversions but they are not all the same, so I will be learning most of this as I go. I have the location available for the swap. I will hopefully soon have the tools for the job (Body shop). Any mechanical work I already have tools for (Thanks Snap On :P) and somewhat some of knowledge needed. Finally, even though money is always an issue, I have that too, but the project will go depending on circumstances at the time.

Now on to my questions:

1: I plan to purchase a 1999 or similar Mistubishi Mirage. No problem there. My main question is... Which is easier to swap into the Mirage? EVO 4, 5-6, or 7-8 4g63? I am assuming 9 is out of the question due to mivec, which I know is possible, however; I am trying to find the easier solution.

2: In case I go with a EVO 4-6 engine, I understand non US evo4-6 engines are prone to failure, but I am somewhat assuming this is the same as the DSM Crankwalk scare. Everyone worries but not many experience it. How true is this statement?

3: If I purchase a half cut EVO 5 (Great source for OEM Panels and drivetrain), would I be able to use the wiring harness included with the engine (Evo-5), or would I have to do some splicing/converting to the mirage harness. I am trying to make the engine installation as smooth and clean as possible, and the less splicing and wiring I have to do, the better. I would really like to use an Evo 8 engine due to the build quality and tuneability of EVOFlash, but it seems that route is more trouble.

4: I know the rear trunk pan will have to be replaced in order to install the AWD system. Can this item be replaced by a Evo 7-9 trunk pan?

5: Does an Evo 7-9 Rear differential and subframe bolt up perfect? I have heard mixed reviews about this one, so I am hoping to get a solid answer. I know the rear diff works but I would like to know if the rear subframe works to. I could purchase a front end totaled EVO or the rear subframe out of one, which would make the swap so much easier.

6: Aside from listed parts, what other Evo 7-9 parts are compatible with the mirage shell?

I will ask more questions as I come up with them. Not trying to overwhelm/bore everyone with my first post.

Thanks to everyone who helps me with my project. I apologize for the nooblike first post but I want to be able to visualize the build before I start it. I hate doing things on the fly. I want to plan this whole project out before I dig in.
Hope you all understand.

Thanks!

R15
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:31 PM

Hey! not here to criticize or discourage you, but why not just buy an evo 8! The money that you're gonna spend in the long run, might surpass the cost of buying the 8, and plus you'll still get to drive n enjoy it while you're modifying it!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

I own a Evo6 so I can tell you the motor is bullet proof. It's the Tcase that sucks. In saying that Evo 4-8 have a VERY similar engine (everything interchangable?) so you could use any parts.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:50 PM
R15

Originally Posted by chintrebor
Hey! not here to criticize or discourage you, but why not just buy an evo 8! The money that you're gonna spend in the long run, might surpass the cost of buying the 8, and plus you'll still get to drive n enjoy it while you're modifying it!
No problem sir, none taken. I would like to enjoy an Evo 8, yes I would. Problem is that everyone, their mother, and their sister drive an Evo 7-9 and now 10 here where I live. (Not exaggerating, I know a guy, his sister and his mom own an Evo, but aside, yes I see about 12 Evo's a day, especially at my work place).

There are some places that they are quite rare and admirable, but here, they have just become blended traffic, to include just as many Subaru Technica Infections and the sort. AWD is plentiful here.

So not saying Evos are bad, I just want to be unique. I have seen one Evo III in Denver, yellow... That is all. An Evo V would be nice!

Originally Posted by Jush
I own a Evo6 so I can tell you the motor is bullet proof. It's the Tcase that sucks. In saying that Evo 4-8 have a VERY similar engine (everything interchangable?) so you could use any parts.
Awesome! I have heard mainly Evo IV motors are the bad ones, but not sure if it translated into 5-6-9etc. That sucks about the transfer case since that's pretty much my only option. Evo 7-9 wont work on a Mirage. What exactly is the weak link in the transfercase if I may ask? Is it defective such as some DSM t-cases, or is it weak after a certain hp/kw limit? I don't plan on making this a drag car, so I'm hoping it should be fine at 300hp?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
evo 5 would be cool, i like how the evo 4 looks best i think