Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

cams or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cams or turbo?

which mod would you guys go for first? evo8 with some basic mods. I dont like how the power feels like it signs off after about 5500. Had a tune, my torque curve signs off early, or is that normal? any way, upgrade turbo or cams? which will give me a better result. i just want a good street/track car

thanks guys
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Cams are usually purchased before an aftermarket turbo, it's considered a "basic" mod. And yes, big cams (Kelford, GSC, Cosworth, etc) will help the car pull better up top. Save the bigger turbo for later, you wouldn't be able to fully take advantage of it without a big cam anyway.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:07 AM

Get cams and an Evo 9 turbo(if you can get one cheap enough) good power there!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If I were to do it over I would go with a turbo before cams.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cams first then you can make the right choice when picking up the turbo to much the cams you have.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

I would go for cams/springs and then turbo, also you never stated but do you have an upgraded front mount, intercooler piping? Also if you go bigger turbo you will have to look at injectors,etc. Ulttimetly its up to you in what your hp goals are, but good luck with your decission.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lancerboy89
I would go for cams/springs and then turbo, also you never stated but do you have an upgraded front mount, intercooler piping? Also if you go bigger turbo you will have to look at injectors,etc. Ulttimetly its up to you in what your hp goals are, but good luck with your decission.
thanks guys, yeah i do have 1000cc injectors, 255 walbro as well, std front mount. i think the piping is std as well. i bought the car like this. it was supposed to have a 9 turbo on it.... it did not. I think i just want a bolt on turbo kit, like the 9, fp or tomie. but now i think i will throw cams in first. thanks again
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Id decide Hp goals....Personally a turbo swap with a few supporting mods well be better then a CAM swap....by the time you get down to it cams springs retainers n headstuds plus labor n a tune. Your around same ball park price .....now $/Hp well be definition more with a turbo swap. Our stockers are good but you can only get so much Hp before its reaching its limit even with aggressive cams and better fuel. If your goal is 400 or under CAM swap, if goal is more turbo swap.... But if you want more then 400 then headstuds should be on the supporting mods list. Good luck....my recommendation a credit card with good apr interest and a high credit limit....haha
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I would do cams first like gsc s2 or kelfords to gain a decent hp gain and will help out on the topend with the mods you have already. Save up your money for the turbo setup you really want , whether its bigger stockframe or turbo kit with ex. manifold / external wastegate. There are so many options.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:51 PM

Definatley cams. Id do it step by step and get the best out of the engine first.. Cams n springs, then turbo upgrade. U nvr knw, u might be happy with the cams since the turbo shud be good for 400hp
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

My advice, save up the money. Then you can get cams, turbo at the same time. So you can do the tune just one instead of two or three times. This will save you time and money.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cams are almost essential. If you have post 400whp expectations, I'd add some GSC S2's or something equivalent to your list before a turbo..
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Do cams like everyone else is saying lol. The stock 8 cams suck big time. Go with some kelfords or gsc s2. I have kelfords and evo 9 turbo on e85 and its perfect for daily driving.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by BEKevo
Cams are almost essential. If you have post 400whp expectations, I'd add some GSC S2's or something equivalent to your list before a turbo..

+1, cams are very essential.

Don't forget supporting mods too. Valve spring upgrade recommended, along with retainers, headstuds and hoping you have all the other basic mods LMFAO.

Keep in mind the GSC S2 Camshafts are usually occupied for turbo setups 60mm+, so it goes both ways on which should be bought 1st....I would honestly just save your money and get everything together to do 1 complete install
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^^ i suggest the same thing, save up for both n buy all together n do 1 install

Quick Reply: cams or turbo?