Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Strange ticking sound under hood

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange ticking sound under hood

Yesterday morning on my way to class I noticed that when idling my evo 8 was making a strange ticking sound. I pulled over and popped the hood and it seemed like the sound was near the engine. The sound continued for the rest of the day and I noticed it was slightly louder when it was folder outside. However the next day I drove a bit like a madman and the sound stopped occurring and now the sound doesn't seem to be an issue anymore and I can't hear it when the car is idling, even if its cold outside. Should I just forget about the sound that I heard, or could the sound be an indication of something more serious?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:31 AM

I also just recently had the oil, serpentine belt, transmission fluid, and transfer case fluid changed. I don't know if this may have something to do with it.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds Like a Lifter tick
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:22 AM

Lifter tick is usually loud and constant. Could possibly your injectors ticking?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I have a clunk in the rear end of my car right now. When the weather changes it will probably go away. If it doesn't I will look into it then. I suggest you do the same.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Probably a stuck lifter, get motor flush idle it for 10-15 minutes and it should lubricate all moving parts, then change your oil. I did this yesterday and the car is running so much better
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:12 AM

good old. 4g63 lifter tick
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:18 AM

So I'm not all too sure what these lifters are. Are they in anyway detrimental to the car if they aren't functioning properly? I'm kind of strapped for cash right now so I'm not sure what the cause could be. Also this tick is only when idling. Anytime I'm actually in gear and going faster than 5mph I don't hear it. How much does it cost to take care of this problem? Since the sound disappeared am I alright for now?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by steven121
Probably a stuck lifter, get motor flush idle it for 10-15 minutes and it should lubricate all moving parts, then change your oil. I did this yesterday and the car is running so much better
I just had all the fluids changed less than 200 miles ago. Should I just let it idle for 10-15 minutes then or would this not be a good solution?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Lifter tick Like the other member suggested.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The lifter has an inner piston that fits the outer hull to very tight tolerances. Oil pushes the inner piston up which takes up the slack and removes noise. If the inner piston sticks (isn't moving freely) you then have tick. A particle can get in between the piston and the hull, cause the piston to stick, and then come out. If this is the case the problem requires no further attention other than changing the oil at the proper intervals and using a good oil filter.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:38 PM

Thank you, just the answer I was looking for.

Originally Posted by barneyb
The lifter has an inner piston that fits the outer hull to very tight tolerances. Oil pushes the inner piston up which takes up the slack and removes noise. If the inner piston sticks (isn't moving freely) you then have tick. A particle can get in between the piston and the hull, cause the piston to stick, and then come out. If this is the case the problem requires no further attention other than changing the oil at the proper intervals and using a good oil filter.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:41 PM

i think every evo does this mine stops after a service for about 50miles then it comes back and gets gradually worse until next service got love those lifters XD
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Be careful you might have one of these

Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:27 PM

^ lol . it is probably lifter tick.

Quick Reply: Strange ticking sound under hood