Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

what is the best intercooler on a budget?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdt1805
Its crap parts when a tuner takes off your "3 inch exhaust" but then he puts a true 3" exhaust on and magically you make more power. Buy once and save money. Or keep buying the cx intercooler/crappy parts and waste money. ETS, AMS, Buschur, all of them have put blood sweat and tears into their products. Development time and everything else but they perform. People are setting records with them. You dont hear that from these low priced options.
Are you serious? It doesn't matter what logo is on that 3inch exhaust, its a 3inch diameter pipe. There is nothing magical going on inside of those name brand exhausts. He is not wanting to set world records, he is someone short on cash at the moment and needs an affordable replacement.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tdt1805
Just trying to help save you money man. Like for me im not going to push over 330 until next year. This entire summer ill just save money so I can upgrade fuel system and a cop and possibly build engine. Look at AMS or Buschur's site and do the stage upgrades. Smartest thing you could do and see how the quality parts really do make a difference.
thank you i really appreciate it
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VR4-EVO
Are you serious? It doesn't matter what logo is on that 3inch exhaust, its a 3inch diameter pipe. There is nothing magical going on inside of those name brand exhausts. He is not wanting to set world records, he is someone short on cash at the moment and needs an affordable replacement.
you sir are correct
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by VR4-EVO
What I meant was some places say they are selling a 3" exhaust when its really not. Sorry I didn't clarify that.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:54 PM

Ah alright that makes much more sense. haha
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you maxed out your stock IC?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Call ets I think there 3 inch is 499 maybe you can get a beater deal
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Holy Smokes. That thread above from the Moderator is from 2004. You dig deep!

I would recommend our core. It's better to purchase right once then have to pay for another intercooler down the road.

The intercooler is very important on stock frame turbochargers with increased boost pressure. Once you start pulling the turbocharger out of it's efficiency range the intake temps rise drastically. The intercooler helps maintain lower temps, eliminate 3rd gear knock and allow you to run more timing which results in more power all the way around

I'm sure I can work out a taxtime deal pm me

Thanks!

Michael
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Look At ets Stepping up. you can also look for a used one on here as well, you can find a good deal
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure why these threads keep popping up... This specific topic has been beaten to death.

However, since I have already started typing, maybe I can save you some search time... I searched for weeks on this subject. All I wanted was an upgraded IC that would effectively support ~450hp. What did I choose? CXRacing.

This setup (IC and UICP) saved me hundreds of dollars and has worked very well for me. Budget - check.

Temp readings went down drastically in the summer heat, and stayed down for multiple pulls.Fitment was almost perfect on both pieces; just had to make one bracket on the top of the IC work, and remove one from the UICP. Form and function - check.

The rest is more or less economics. To an extent, and let me emphasize that part, the mark up on a lot of products (regardless if automotive or not) is either: R&D paybacks, brand loyalty/recognition, or both. I am NOT saying that quality is exact, because it likely isn't.

Company A spends $1 million on R&D. Makes great product. Sells for $1000. Makes back R&D costs. Continues to sell at $1000 because it is still a great product and brand.

Company B "copy cats" Company A design and spends $10k on R&D. Makes decent product. Sells for $500. Makes back R&D costs. Continues to sell at $500 because it is still a decent product.

Company A did a lot of the leg work for Company B, and while there are still quality arguments and a lot of other factors, the idea remains the same.

If you plan on making over 500hp, get a great brand name product now because that is when you will want that extra quality.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:33 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ETS Michael
Holy Smokes. That thread above from the Moderator is from 2004. You dig deep!
It was mostly posted in jest and I misread that budget meant cheap, which was my bad.

Though, you gotta pay to play IMO.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know about the fitment with CXracing, But they aren't terrible parts. They are decent for the price (coming from 240sx ownership). But I would just say to save your money for something better. You can find the mishimoto intercoolers for good prices. Or you can just wait for ETS cores. That's what I will be running when I have the money. Their parts are top notch!

-Taylor
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

This is the 2n thread you've done asking the same Q's, and you keep insisting on the Cxracing intercooler. Just get it already and give it a try! Whats the worst that can happen ?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tercooler.html
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zenki-s13
I don't know about the fitment with CXracing, But they aren't terrible parts. They are decent for the price (coming from 240sx ownership). But I would just say to save your money for something better. You can find the mishimoto intercoolers for good prices. Or you can just wait for ETS cores. That's what I will be running when I have the money. Their parts are top notch!

-Taylor
not to start s#!t but the "240 mentality" is like the "Honda mentality". Cheap. I love Hondas (had a bunch) and my wife loves 240's but I can't count how many of those cars we've seen look like crap, hatchet jobs done on a shoestring budget. You're statement is exactly the what happens to new EVO owners. They come from an automotive realm that is used to doing things on the cheap. If you do that you are asking for a variety of possible issues. Parts breaking, power output less then hoped for, replacing it when it doesn't work as advertised.

I know this is a generalized statement and i know not all 240 and Honda owners are like this, but its that mentality that has new EVO owners getting serious sticker shock.

just because the car is now cheaper to obtain doesn't mean the cost of modifying is cheap. Its going to be the same. And since the platform has been out for a while you get a bunch of me too companies that will sucker newer EVO owners out of their hard earned money.

Yes I know not everything has to be brand name (I have a bunch of Rexpeed parts on my car) but there are somethings that should NOT be skimped out on.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Feb 2, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
+1 Not only that, but its a direct result of people selling their Evos on the cheap.

Quick Reply: what is the best intercooler on a budget?