Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

what is the best intercooler on a budget?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what is the best intercooler on a budget?

looking to pick up a new intercooler. i only need a core
im trying to stay away from the ones that are $500 bc money is limited at the moment.
where can you guys point me, id rather buy something new but im open to used IC cores as long as they are in really good shape but for right now i havent found anything in the classifieds worth buying. but id rather try to stay with something new.
im getting mixed opinions on the cx racing but if anyone has any data to backup their reasoning that would be great. thanks in advance
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur is selling a used race ic and the lower ic pipe for 750 shipped.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tdt1805
Buschur is selling a used race ic and the lower ic pipe for 750 shipped.
i appreciate the quick response, but did you even read what i posted?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Ya I did. Im trying to help you out in the long run cause if you buy crap your results will be crappy. Save your money then so you can buy good quality things and not crap ones.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Ya I did. Im trying to help you out in the long run cause if you buy crap your results will be crappy. Save your money then so you can buy good quality things and not crap ones.
whats crappy about a cx racing IC? besides it being really affordable? not to stir the pot just looking for some answers besides "its ****"
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VRSF intercooler is a choice, i have the 4" one that i got pretty damn cheap. and it fit perfect and works GREAT. I think they have a 3.5" thats cheaper. Im not sure about the CX racing ones, i have not heard great things with fitment from them.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Buschur's, Mellon, ETS, have all proven that if you run crappy parts (to an extent) you will hurt your results. If you buy quality parts your results are better. Don't just buy parts cause you want them. Save money and get the quality ones cause im sure for what you will be running that stock intercooler will be fine.

Good info from a very respectable dealer/tuner/person.

I've been hearing some complaints about prices of QUALITY parts and services lately. I understand that everyone is trying to stretch their dollar to get the most for their money. Some parts are okay to buy used, some are a terrible idea. Some brands are just junk whether it's new or used. Some brands make a few good parts that work well and their other parts are junk. Please take the advice of a good experienced engine builder/tuner over your friends that have zero real experience of their own on the subject. Often when pressed you'll find out that they are simply regurgitating what somebody else once said on the internet or "my buddy" said. Too often that other person doesn't have any personal experience either. If you cannot afford the known, proven good stuff, do yourself a big favor, be patient and save up the money. You'll thank yourself later for doing this. I can't tell you how many times customers went the cheap route only to have to do things all over again later at twice the expense. If you make a conscious decision to ignore expert advice and do things the wrong way because you're impatient or just being cheap, you probably shouldn't own a performance car. Trade it in and get a honda daily driver. Skimping on these cars will come back to haunt you, guaranteed. This isn't directed at anyone, just advice...hopefully it helps somebody that's on the fence and about to make a poor, hasty decision

Last edited by tdt1805; Feb 1, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:16 PM

I honestly think CXRacing is just as good, if not better than stock. But not on par with buschur, ets, turboxs and all your big brands. But you're looking for a cheap replacement and they are super cheap. So if later down the road you don't like its performance and want to get a different one its no big deal on the budget.

Anyways, the cxracing one is like $170. OEM on lancershop is $617. I'm buying a cxracing intercooler just because i like slapping stuff on the car and looking at the results. Hope that helped.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:21 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-good-bad.html
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:26 PM

$500 isn't too bad of a budget. What about ETS?
So far there have been people in this thread telling you that you get what you pay for but have no facts to back any of it up. If its a at least semi-reputable brand I would assume that the biggest problem would probably be fitment. The obvious would be that they arnt as efficient as say ams or what ever but that's a given. Compromise!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Its crap parts when a tuner takes off your "3 inch exhaust" but then he puts a true 3" exhaust on and magically you make more power. Buy once and save money. Or keep buying the cx intercooler/crappy parts and waste money. ETS, AMS, Buschur, all of them have put blood sweat and tears into their products. Development time and everything else but they perform. People are setting records with them. You dont hear that from these low priced options.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

eventually i would like to get a bigger turbo, maybe something equivalent to a fp red. if i was going to pick up a cx IC would that be able to support the power from a red? or even a stock turbo in summer heat?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

You would need a good IC thats atleast probably 3.5 thick to not have a lot of heat soak. Im looking at getting a red/black or hta 86 and you just gotta do it in stages. Save money and buy once. Im buying fic 2150 injectors and calling it done. Yea they are the most expensive but then im not wasting money buying lower cc just to resell for nothing then rebuy the higher ones ya know?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

ok thanks ill look into the better ones
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Just trying to help save you money man. Like for me im not going to push over 330 until next year. This entire summer ill just save money so I can upgrade fuel system and a cop and possibly build engine. Look at AMS or Buschur's site and do the stage upgrades. Smartest thing you could do and see how the quality parts really do make a difference.

Quick Reply: what is the best intercooler on a budget?