Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo baseline maintainance questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo baseline maintainance questions

Thansk guys! the evos in my price range are over 100k in mileage and while im not afraind of that, i'd like to know what is expected in terms of baseline maintainance if i do buy one?
It wont be my dd, i'd say usage maybe 2-3 days a week..i mention that to point put the fact that there'd be enough downtime to wrench on her if i need to.
Financially (while i dont have deep pockets!) i'm sure ownership and repairs will not put me in the poor house but im sure a good aftermarket warranty would go a long way, i've heard about issues with the tranny.
What else should i look out for?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check Tires and Brakes because it's easy to do on the spot. Expect to do an oil change, and if it were me I would do all the driveline fluids and coolant.

100k is only 20k away from the next timing belt and water pump.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:21 PM

so you're saying mileage that high is ok then? so long as i do the baseline.
Thanks btw!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
3rd party warranties are useless
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
3rd party warranties are useless
wow, didn't know that.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Also check and replace the spark plugs. As for the transmissions it really comes down the the previous owner. I have the original transmission, transfer case and differential at 141,000 miles... zero problems. Regularly changing the gear oil is also very important. As long as you purchase one that's been maintained you should be fine. Good luck.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:38 PM

Is the car stock? dose the t-case wine? look at the overall condition of the car, it will tell you alot about how the previous owner took car of it. Look for rust or body damage. after market warranties are worthless. I would expect to change oil, trans, t-case, and rear diff fluids. also timing belt and water pump would be a very good investment. I am buying a 06 rs with well over 100k this week.the price is stupid low and I cant pass it up. good luck!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:49 PM

thanks for the tip. i guess a ppi would be a solid investment then, cos i dont know what to look for or comp. since i never owned an example of an evo. but im really greatful.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
PPI is always a solid investment unless you really know what you're looking for in the car. Take it to a shop near you that specializes in Evo's (if possible) and see what they say about the car

3rd party warranties are useless because there are so many restrictions on them and you shouldn't be relying on a warranty to fix your car if you're buying a used one. that money is better spent on good thorough PPI's
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
PPI is always a solid investment unless you really know what you're looking for in the car. Take it to a shop near you that specializes in Evo's (if possible) and see what they say about the car

3rd party warranties are useless because there are so many restrictions on them and you shouldn't be relying on a warranty to fix your car if you're buying a used one. that money is better spent on good thorough PPI's
Thanks, the thought of signing on the dotted line sans warranty scares the crap otta me!! but if thats the general concensus then i concur..i'll have to find a good shop..i was just going to contact the closest bishi dealer to the car.