Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will stock plugs do me any good? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will stock plugs do me any good? HELP!

Sorry for being a big "noob" never worked on evos in general. I just purchased my evo 9 mr about a 2 weeks ago. Its got alot of mods. I drove it for a few days without any issues and just recently out of random starting to have some firing issues.

These are the mods:
DTT PTE 6262 Kit w Tial 44 MVR Wastegate
DTT 3" SS O2 housing
DTT 4" Intercooler (Garrett)
DTT 2.5" Aluminum Intercooler Pipe Kit
3" Stainless Turbo Back exhaust
BR double pumper (2x 255 Walbro Fuel Pumps)
Invidia Header
Zeitronix WBO2 w/ 2" Display
Bosch 1600cc High Impedence Injectors
Grimspeed Boost Control Solinoid ( for Boost By Gear Tuning)
ARP Headstuds
Tial Q BOV
Spooling Up Coil on plug Ignition
3" Injen Intake

What my question was if I swap out the coil on plugs with new OEM plugs will it make my car run good without Messing the tune up to much until spring so i can get new plugs and a good tune? I wont beat on my car just need it to start up a drive nicely without sounding like a wrx? lol

Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like your running more boost then stock and i hope to god the owner before you got a tune, basically id pull the plugs out you have now in there and get the part number and put the same thing back in, if you cant find the part number id go with a step colder plug then stock and call it good, again this is all depended on boost numbers
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hitmachine101
sounds like your running more boost then stock and i hope to god the owner before you got a tune, basically id pull the plugs out you have now in there and get the part number and put the same thing back in, if you cant find the part number id go with a step colder plug then stock and call it good, again this is all depended on boost numbers

He had it tuned car is running 28lb of boost at 420whp which is I no low. lol I get that a lot. Tomorrow I will get the plugs that were tuned on the car originally and contact Spooling up coil pack and see if I can get a new set.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:48 PM

Might sounds weird, but check you timing belt, you might have jumped a tooth on one of your cam gears. just some food for thought but I had the same issue once before and it sounded like a subi lol. good luck
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:51 PM

Might be burning out plugs if they are gaped wrong as well.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by REBGST
Might sounds weird, but check you timing belt, you might have jumped a tooth on one of your cam gears. just some food for thought but I had the same issue once before and it sounded like a subi lol. good luck

timing could be an issue as well as gap,

ya 28ilbs of boost you might want to look 2 steps colder on the plugs, but overall the best idea is to just replace the current existing plugs with the same ones, assuming the PO didnt put the wrong ones in to start with,

so look it up theres plenty of spark plug info here on the forums

take note to the gap as well
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Hitmachine101
timing could be an issue as well as gap,

ya 28ilbs of boost you might want to look 2 steps colder on the plugs, but overall the best idea is to just replace the current existing plugs with the same ones, assuming the PO didnt put the wrong ones in to start with,

so look it up theres plenty of spark plug info here on the forums

take note to the gap as well
If you are having an issue with startup/flooding , the last thing I would do is install 2 step colder plugs as they are more prone to fouling. I would run the stock plug gapped properly to see if it helps with your startup issues , I still think there is a problem with your coils, if or when the car gets thru its warmup does the car run smooth just cruising around. I'm not telling you to go out and beat the hell out of your car, but when the car was running ok when you got it would it break up going wot ? What ngk plug or other plug are you running? You should post the part # of the plugs. I would give the stock plugs a try to see if it helps get you running,but don't beat on it until you get it tuned with the right plugs for your mods.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:08 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
The OEM plugs are designed for turbocharged motors that run way hotter than a N/A motor, so moving to a colder plug is often not necessary, unlike say a Honda where the OEM plugs were not designed to operate at much higher temperatures.

I would talk to your tuner and of course pull the plugs and take a quick look at them and then go from there. I assume you're not driving the car right now, correct? If something isn't sounding right, the last thing you want to do is ignore it and hope it just goes away.

Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:47 AM

The car doesn't run right at all even when it warms up. I took the car to the gas station just to fill it up with a full tank of gas and it sounded like a wrx the whole time. and no im not driving the car now. What spark plugs would you guys recommend and at what gap? I will pull the plugs and update info soon as I do so.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Harumsevo
The car doesn't run right at all even when it warms up. I took the car to the gas station just to fill it up with a full tank of gas and it sounded like a wrx the whole time. and no im not driving the car now. What spark plugs would you guys recommend and at what gap? I will pull the plugs and update info soon as I do so.
Well when you bought the car and drove it home did you have any issues at all ? It seems to me that you have a issue with one of your coils and its probably not firing, that why your car sounds the way it does. It probably running on 3 cylinders. First of all I would pull the plugs and replace them with the same ones as long as the car ran fine with those when you first got it. I would gap them at .022-.025 and see if you can get known working coils, even if its not a cop kit you can try the stock setup. You may even want to look at the plugs and check for a damaged / cracked insulator or even any tears in the boots of the coils which would ground out the spark and lead to a poor running car.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:19 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
If it was my car, I would use the recommended NGK Iridium ILFR7H and then gap them to what people with similar set-ups that are also running the COP are gapping them to.

But, a shop/tuner is always the smart answer IMO. I'm all for DIY, but some things I'm not as comfortable with. This is especially true with newer cars, as engineering tolerances are way tighter.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
that fuel setup looks like E85 to me?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
Well when you bought the car and drove it home did you have any issues at all ? It seems to me that you have a issue with one of your coils and its probably not firing, that why your car sounds the way it does. It probably running on 3 cylinders. First of all I would pull the plugs and replace them with the same ones as long as the car ran fine with those when you first got it. I would gap them at .022-.025 and see if you can get known working coils, even if its not a cop kit you can try the stock setup. You may even want to look at the plugs and check for a damaged / cracked insulator or even any tears in the boots of the coils which would ground out the spark and lead to a poor running car.
No issues at all. Started up fine every time and drove back 1400 miles without a single problem. I found out that the plugs they used were Denso ihk24. Im going to swap the ones in there now and try those and check the coils for any crack or test them to see if they are all working the way they should.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:20 PM

to eliminate if its timing line up the cam gear marks, that will narrow it down to COP or plugs. Have you checked for any lose/frayed wires or connections?