Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Normal Intake Air Temps?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normal Intake Air Temps?

So I'm troubleshooting my car and I am trying to figure out what I should be seeing on a scan tool. I saw two seperate IAT readings on the scan tool, one read about 4 degrees celsius (39ish fahrenheit), which is just about the ambient temp today. The other number I saw was 82 celsius, which I think translates into like 179 degrees fahrenheit? How is this even possible? I have a feeling I found my problem with my car running like garbage.

So what should I be seeing compared to ambient? Considering I'm not beating the car. Thanks!!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The higher number is coolant temperature and the lower one is the air temperature.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm. That would make sense but they were both clearly labeled "intake air temperature" on the scan tool. Hmmm.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:15 PM

There is only one IAT sensor on a stock Evo engine afaik
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah and its built into the MAF I believe.
Still seeing two temps, one ambient, and one showing what seems to be pretty consistant with coolant temp (82/83 degrees C). Interesting.

Regardless, the code I was throwing was because the MAF was unplugged at one point while the car was being worked on, so I am back to square one. However I did notice a decent amount of pressure in the valve cover last night when I unscrewed the oil cap at idle, I could feel a pretty good thumping of air coming out of the cap. I will be checking the PCV as soon as I can, as well as the hose that vents from the front corner of the crankcase to the intake pipe.

The car did use maybe a half quart of oil in 2700 miles, but I would almost call that normal for a turbo car with 100k on the clock. Just exhibiting horrible low speed and low load throttle response.