Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

electrical system completely dead? won't even unlock doors

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical system completely dead? won't even unlock doors

drove the car 10 hours ago, like every day. Go to move the car off the street this morning, and doors won't unlock, dashboard won't illuminate, nothing.

I also have a battery charger, so clamped to the battery, still absolutely nothing, which leads me to believe it's not the battery but somewhere else in the electrical chain.

sidenote; on Superbowl sunday was driving for 60 minutes or so, and the entire electric system flickered while on the highway, headlights-dash-radio and the car stuttered during it. So I thought maybe a battery terminal cable was loose, but they're both very snug.

any other ideas? Or else I'll have to have it towed which I really don't want to do.

thanks
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:52 AM

It could still be the battery. If it completely failed vs getting weak sometimes even putting a booster pack to it will not be enough, and replacement is the only option. Other than that search the car over for obvious blown fuses (the larger 30amp + fuses). Start there and if that doesnt work we can get into more detail.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

could be just a super dead battery. swap it out with a know good battery. and go from there.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

possibly a really drained battery combined with an alternator issue?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

so was pushing the car down the street to the parking lot behind my building, and after 10 mins of pushing, finally hit a big bump and the electrical system suddenly came to life, and the car turned over and started?

Like stated earlier, it's not a loose terminal on the battery, those were very tight. The battery is less than a year old, which I know doesn't matter on small batteries, but it started right up. So that bump in the road obviously moved something, but now I'm worried because it's impossible to know what moved causing it to suddenly work.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:32 PM

Check the battery cable going into your fuse block. Make sure its not corroded or loose.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:37 PM

yeaz, if a bump gave you power than it sounds like a short my friend. Edit- clean your batt terminals and check the distal ends... check to see if your clock restarts when it dies/then comes back to life.. if the clock and everything is all reset like it lost power than I would guess its somewhere around the battery/hard power supply and not some weird problem with something like security (). good luck.

Last edited by TrippinKent; Feb 7, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

yeah the clock was reset, which I've never seen.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

get your car running then grab the negitive cable and shake/pull on and see if it cuts out.

do the same with the positive side. if it still doesnt die or cut out start shaking every wire harness you can get your meat beaters on and give them hell!!!!

Last edited by fastyouth1313; Feb 8, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:40 PM

yeah good idea... try to get it to cut out when you're running... I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think sometimes with some batter types and depending on how it's terminals are built into the cells, if they get damaged internally than they can cut out like that- borrow a friends batt and hook it up if you cant find a loose/bad connection.