Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Turbo CFMs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2004, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo CFMs

Hi, i got another question, i was wondering if anyone by chance knew how much cfm of air is usually generated from a turbo? All i really need is atleast a ballpark figure, from a small or bigger turbo. Thanks, Dusty.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Below is a link that will show you how to calc out cfm for a certian turbo and match it to a flow chart for your car. Hope this helps what you are looking for.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t150900.html
Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:02 PM

Sorry, i know how to calculate the cfms required for an engine, but i was just wondering what the average cfms a turbo generated.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well it greatly depends on the turbo... for example the Evo 8 most likely generates around 500-550 cfm... more towards the 500 range is my guess... the turboine housing is too small in the upper RPM's to allow for anymore cfm.. if it's replaced with a single scroll and clipped it may generate about 50 more cfm

I know my Evo 3 turbo made right around 550 cfm, with the stock housing ported and clipped... porting was only done to match the gasket and debur the inlet... larger turbos will make upwards of 1000cfm... some turbos on trucks make over 1300cfm.. T88 i believe makes around 1000 cfm... Again only ballparks it greatly depends on the turbo and how its configured as well as the motor its on...