Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

URGENT HELP NEEDED: Ebrake Shoe Assembly

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
URGENT HELP NEEDED: Ebrake Shoe Assembly

So I was changing wheel studs on the rear passenger side last night. Everything was going well I got all the studs replaced when all the sudden one part of the brake shoe (right side) fell off. I know how the springs fit on the top of the assembly. There is a spring on the left and right shoe at the top that holds it to the top of the assembly. What I can NOT figure out is how the bottom of the shoe, where the shoe adjuster and spring are, connects and I cannot drive until its together obviously.

Pic of shoe that I don't know how to mount. It is upside down I know that just not sure how it connects the shoe adjuster to the left side of the shoe

Picture from the ground up at the bottom of the entire shoe assembly. I am holding the shoe adjuster (cylinder thing with star wheel) and another spring that connects on bottom

Last picture of the bare right side of the shoe without anything attached for visual sake

Also pic of some spring that fell out. I have ZERO idea where this goes it fell out when the shoe fell off. Next to caliper bolt to compare size

*If there is ANY way I can rig it up just to get my car back on the road please explain!!!* I will carry around some bricks to chock my wheels if I can't get the ebrake assembly together for a few days til I figure it out.

Thank you!

Alex Stillwell
314-807-2511

Last edited by AdrenalineRush; Feb 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:53 AM

I haven't opened up my rear shoes yet but it should be like any other e-brake shoe out there. The adjuster goes on the bottom between the two shoes. But before you go that far the spring that you you posted in quest looks like the retaining spring. It goes on top of the second hole from the top and should have a pin that slides through the backing plate and into the spring to hold the shoe up. Once you do that the shoe will stay there while you install the rest of the hardware. Looks like your going to need a hardware kit though.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
Here's a pic that shows how it goes back together.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BoredDSM
I haven't opened up my rear shoes yet but it should be like any other e-brake shoe out there. The adjuster goes on the bottom between the two shoes. But before you go that far the spring that you you posted in quest looks like the retaining spring. It goes on top of the second hole from the top and should have a pin that slides through the backing plate and into the spring to hold the shoe up. Once you do that the shoe will stay there while you install the rest of the hardware. Looks like your going to need a hardware kit though.
Ok I'll have to try that when I get in front of the car. What do you mean by "need a hardware kit though"
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

@cdrinkh2o

Thanks for the image! I was looking for hours last night trying to find an install of the assembly and it would not bring up anything besides buying the whole shoe assembly or something on a totally different car
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

This is the part I can't seem to figure out. The spring that holds the shoe adjuster wheel on I'm not seeing anywhere

Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is that youre stuck with, its really simple and straight forward.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

The spring that is holding the shoe adjuster in place I am not seeing at all. My mechanical skills are not extremely great had I not knocked the shoe off I'd be fine lol
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:23 PM

You need a new spring kit, it comes with all the replacement springs and retaining pins, they are fairly inexpensive at your local auto parts store, judging by the corrosion the retaining pin rusted away and snapped and the bottom spring may have done the same and thats why you cant find it. Just go to your parts store and tell them you need the drum brake spring kit for your car, they will set you up! Good luck and happy wrenching!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:25 PM

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobil.../N-jokc1Z8kolh

This is what you need.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:06 PM

Hardware kit is just another name for the springs, clips, and sometimes the star wheel adjuster. Like stated earlier the hardware you have seems to be pretty rusty which is most likely why it came apart so easily.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Canadian-Ix
Wow thank you so much!!! I knew something was missing I couldn't find several pieces that I knew where near the shoe adjuster so that explains its.

BoredDSM thank you as well ya'll are all awesome
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:36 PM

Do you need any other diagrams?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:44 PM

Diagrams

Let me know if you need anything else. I have an all-data subscription and while it does not have some stuff it still has quite a bit.
Attached Thumbnails URGENT HELP NEEDED: Ebrake Shoe Assembly-evoparkingbrake.gif  

Last edited by CT9Asphixyation; Feb 10, 2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by AdrenalineRush
Wow thank you so much!!! I knew something was missing I couldn't find several pieces that I knew where near the shoe adjuster so that explains its.

BoredDSM thank you as well ya'll are all awesome

No worries, thats what this place is all about. Happy to help!

Quick Reply: URGENT HELP NEEDED: Ebrake Shoe Assembly