Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Teaching my girlfriend how to drive the EVO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
evo owner = Troll. Hahaha some of you guys crack me up. When I teach people How to drive stick shift I start them off by only allowing them to get the car rolling with their left foot(no gas). This usually gives them a better feel for where the clutch engages and helps them understand that the car doesn't need much gas to get going.

Good luck and have fun, that's a relative easy clutch. Only other thing is have her be easy with the gas once she gets moving, People aren't used to lag lag lag Booom!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1d10t
Post a pic of said girlfriend. That'll help with our opinions
I'll start setting aside some money for a new clutch then. Now that she wants to learn I feel much more compelled to teach her. Plus, I think the huge smile she'll have on her face once she gives it some gas will be well worth the decreased clutch life

Nevertheless, I'll tread carefully!

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:59 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by suby2evo
evo owner = Troll. Hahaha some of you guys crack me up. When I teach people How to drive stick shift I start them off by only allowing them to get the car rolling with their left foot(no gas). This usually gives them a better feel for where the clutch engages and helps them understand that the car doesn't need much gas to get going.

Good luck and have fun, that's a relative easy clutch. Only other thing is have her be easy with the gas once she gets moving, People aren't used to lag lag lag Booom!
I do this also. It helps them understand the feel of clutch engagement. I usually tell the person I'm teaching to drive barefeet or thin sole shoes. It helps with pedal feel.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I tried this with my wife when first married. After a couple of scary adventures I gave up and bought her a WRX. I figured when the shopping need became great enough she'd learn on her own. It worked and I still have my clutch.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by suby2evo
When I teach people How to drive stick shift I start them off by only allowing them to get the car rolling with their left foot(no gas). This usually gives them a better feel for where the clutch engages and helps them understand that the car doesn't need much gas to get going.
Exactly what I'm doing with the gf
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:21 AM

I think the thing I'd watch out for is when the Evo bogs under low RPM. It is probably a mistake to rev it up into the boost range, but that's what might happen, and then there goes your clutch. Hill starts are more challenging in the Evo (unless burning your clutch is your thing), but as a lot have said, if she can handle it, she should be able to handle most cars out there.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I taught my wife to drive stick-shift on my modified RX-8 and she was so nervous about screwing up my car it made it hard for her to learn. It's easier to learn to drive stickshift the first time on a crap box. That being said, if she knows how to drive stick she will be able to pick it up ok. Make sure she gets used to it somewhere local and slow before getting it out and into boost, but I think it would be cool having a gf/wife who could get behind the wheel of my Evo.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:58 AM

What happened to getting pics?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If she wants to drive it let her have some fun just explain to her about the clutch, my girlfriend drove mine and she was really hard on the clutch but this is a girl who never drove a standard lol
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I let my girl drive mine a few times. I taught her on my other car first and then she graduated to the evo lol.

Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:31 PM

i let my gf drive the evo once she had no prior exp driving manual, she didnt burn the clutch once, and only killed it once on a hill lol
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's with all the negative answers? Just because she's a girl she can't drive? This thread needs more Shawna.

But we still need pics regardless. :P
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

I HAD to teach mine last year... I had been driving 24 hours straight from Houston. She got pulled over..... Stalled in the middle of the road, doh!

I say let her try, who knows what will happen.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say go for it, that way we can learn from your mistake if it goes badly
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Taught an ex on my Ralliart, she picked it up fairly well and quickly. Just explain thoroughly and it'll be fine

Quick Reply: Teaching my girlfriend how to drive the EVO