Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Teaching my girlfriend how to drive the EVO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My girlfriend is a pro at driving mine. I taught her how to drive 5 speed on a 95 golf and she gradually drove a few other cars. Last February we got her a 5 speed Mini to daily. She turned pro at driving (probably one of the best 5 spd drivers I know lol) and she started wanting to drive the Evo. I hesistantly let her and she does very well. Pretty much full boltons with a Comp stage 4 clutch and lightweight flywheel. I actually drove the Mini to work this morning and trusted her to take the Evo to work in stop a go traffic!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:19 PM

The look on guys faces when my girlfriend hops in the driver seat of my evo and blows it sideways out of a parking lot banging it off rev limiter is one of the greatest feelings ever.

*story* My girlfriend and I went to get burgers at this order outside at a window type of place. Couple guys come walking over from across the st looking at my evo and talking about it. (its just on coils, stage 3ish, nothing special) Before they could get close to us I gave my girl the keys and she walked by them and hopped in the driver seat. The guys jaws were on the floor as they kept saying sayin "no way" louder and louder as she started it and rolled out of the parking lot. Once out of the lot she put it to the wood and dropped the clutch, topped first out spinning all 4 and then banged second. ( greatest sound EVER) I never scene guys freak out as much as these guys were. I bought the car to have fun and to bring me joy. Never thought one of my greatest joys would come from OUTSIDE the driver seat.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Is there a kitchen in your car?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Eh I say let her learn. My wife learnt the basics before I meet her so of course it meant nothing with the Evo (AWD, turbo, grabby clutch). She's good enough to drive on road trips which is all I need. Plus the one time the ax murderer comes, you are injured and the Evo is your only way out do you want her to learn then?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by dakrush
The look on guys faces when my girlfriend hops in the driver seat of my evo and blows it sideways out of a parking lot banging it off rev limiter is one of the greatest feelings ever.

*story* My girlfriend and I went to get burgers at this order outside at a window type of place. Couple guys come walking over from across the st looking at my evo and talking about it. (its just on coils, stage 3ish, nothing special) Before they could get close to us I gave my girl the keys and she walked by them and hopped in the driver seat. The guys jaws were on the floor as they kept saying sayin "no way" louder and louder as she started it and rolled out of the parking lot. Once out of the lot she put it to the wood and dropped the clutch, topped first out spinning all 4 and then banged second. ( greatest sound EVER) I never scene guys freak out as much as these guys were. I bought the car to have fun and to bring me joy. Never thought one of my greatest joys would come from OUTSIDE the driver seat.
Dude I'd be freaking out too if I saw anyone bust that out. But ya I teach all sorts of people how to drive stick on my car. Teach in the right way and no more harm will come than with some stop and go traffic... or say a launchhaha
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by KevinECSP
I say go for it, that way we can learn from your mistake if it goes badly

LMFAO so true .

My opinion, I will never show my lady lol. Don't need her grabbing my Evo whenever she feels like it. I'd rather protect my investment and let her stick to driving our daily Concorde which does the shifting for her
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:33 AM

Honestly, if you feel comfortable do it. She's never going to learn if she doesn't try. I learned standard on an STi, and used to drive my dad's 08 corvette all the time soon after that. I've also taken the boyfriends M3 numerous times when I've wanted to without even a blink of an eye from him. I don't get why people are so weird about teaching their girlfriends how to drive standard. I have 3 friends that will not for the life of them teach their girlfriends. If she has the concept down and she knows how to drive standard comfortably, I'm sure she will be ok in your car.

Last edited by evochick88; Feb 15, 2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by codgi
Eh I say let her learn. My wife learnt the basics before I meet her so of course it meant nothing with the Evo (AWD, turbo, grabby clutch). She's good enough to drive on road trips which is all I need. Plus the one time the ax murderer comes, you are injured and the Evo is your only way out do you want her to learn then?
Good point!

Originally Posted by evochick88
Honestly, if you feel comfortable do it. She's never going to learn if she doesn't try. I learned standard on an STi, and used to drive my dad's 08 corvette all the time soon after that. I've also taken the boyfriends M3 numerous times when I've wanted to without even a blink of an eye from him. I don't get why people are so weird about teaching their girlfriends how to drive standard. I have 3 friends that will not for the life of them teach their girlfriends. If she has the concept down and she knows how to drive standard comfortably, I'm sure she will be ok in your car.
When I taught her this summer on the 3 series she only let the car stall once, but to be honest she was a lot better than the guys I've taught over the years!

I'm going to let her try it out soon and will report back with results for all of you that are curious.

...and here is a picture of my two girls (sorry for the camera phone quality)

Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dakrush

This is all kinds of win! I would have her do it for fun all the time just to watch guys reactions lol. A chick that can drive is a big turn on

On topic: If she already has experience thats a plus. It's up to you but personally I never let anyone learn on the evo, I teach on my saturn. Only a select few have/will get the opportunity to actually drive it and only after I have sat shotgun and am satisfied with how they handle manual when driving normally and pushing.

Last edited by MechTech; Feb 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Zerofour1223
Good point!

When I taught her this summer on the 3 series she only let the car stall once, but to be honest she was a lot better than the guys I've taught over the years!

I'm going to let her try it out soon and will report back with results for all of you that are curious.

Toss her the keys imo.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:32 PM

my gf would never get to drive mine lol
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:44 PM

[/QUOTE]
Give her the clean title!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:45 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Its just a fricken car. I wouldnt let an ex drive a car cause I was paranoid, but I got over it. My fiance now drives the evo all the time with or without me. This season she's my tire warmer/co-driver for auto-x. If she did crash it, whateves... Then itll be upgrade time for a real race car.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Zerofour1223
Good point!

Good. Honestly, she will appreciate it. I'll never take that away from my boyfriend that he taught me how to drive standard. I'm sure you will be a nervous wreck since the Evo is your baby, but honestly, I beat the hell out of his car and drive it like it's meant to be driven and he loves it. Plus, if you ever need her to drive in case of emergency, you're covered
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by evochick88
Good. Honestly, she will appreciate it. I'll never take that away from my boyfriend that he taught me how to drive standard. I'm sure you will be a nervous wreck since the Evo is your baby, but honestly, I beat the hell out of his car and drive it like it's meant to be driven and he loves it. Plus, if you ever need her to drive in case of emergency, you're covered
Good point! That's my thinking too, if we're out hiking or biking and I break a leg she'll be able to drive. And roadtripping of course...

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
I taught my wife to drive stick-shift on my modified RX-8 and she was so nervous about screwing up my car it made it hard for her to learn. It's easier to learn to drive stickshift the first time on a crap box. That being said, if she knows how to drive stick she will be able to pick it up ok. Make sure she gets used to it somewhere local and slow before getting it out and into boost, but I think it would be cool having a gf/wife who could get behind the wheel of my Evo.
I had/am having the same experience. I used to have an M3 and she never took me up on the offer to learn because she was too worried. Finally, recently I have been able to teach her how to drive a manual for the first time on the Evo.

To the OP: I've taught a few people on different vehicles, and if they grasp the concept and feel of it they can apply it on anything they drive. Try to be relaxed about it and she won't feel as much pressure when she's already dealing with a new situation. Take it slow and be patient!

Quick Reply: Teaching my girlfriend how to drive the EVO